New Browser:Home page

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

New Browser:Home page

Post by statm1 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Now that build 28 of Avant has been released it now has a startup page with the most visited, history, and recently bookmarked categories on it like Chrome and Opera have.

What is everyones opinion?
-- Matt --

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Re: New Browser:Home page

Post by Sara » Sat May 16, 2009 7:15 am

I felt hi-jacked and returned to my own home page. Avant's has no style, no useful information that isn't already available in Bookmarks, no current news, weather, no anything.

In case you're wondering, I don't like it, we should have the option offered before it replaces our own preferences. Sorry Matt, but this doesn't look liKe your work.

Oh, one more thing--it has no user interface that I could see, so there was no way to add anything.

ftboomer
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version: Latest
IE Version: IE8 x64

Post by ftboomer » Sat May 16, 2009 1:27 pm

Sara wrote:I felt hi-jacked and returned to my own home page. Avant's has no style, no useful information that isn't already available in Bookmarks, no current news, weather, no anything.

In case you're wondering, I don't like it, we should have the option offered before it replaces our own preferences. Sorry Matt, but this doesn't look liKe your work.

Oh, one more thing--it has no user interface that I could see, so there was no way to add anything.

+1

What she said.
Give me a dirty martini and a great cigar, cause nothing beats a nice tight white ash!

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Sat May 16, 2009 1:57 pm

+2

statm1

Post by statm1 » Sat May 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Oh, no it wasn't my work. Its very clear by looking at the source that is by far NOT my work. But, while it might have hijacked your homepage. It only does that on install you can quickly change it back. But if it didn't reassign your homepage no one would know it was there(unless they visited this site) since the new tab button is not turned on by default.

And you aren't really supposed to add anything to it. Its not like a google startup page where it has news, weather, etc. It is supposed to mimic the new tab page in Chrome that has pretty much the same info. And while you can find this stuff else where, I thought it was nice to have it aggragated all in one place.

I didn't have any input on this feature. I was surprised when i saw it in the changelog.

I feel bad for Anderson, every new feature he tries to add to Avant everyone hates, i.e. Download manager and now the browser:home page.
-- Matt --

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by Sara » Sat May 16, 2009 8:47 pm

It should be called an Index page--that would greatly reduce confusion.

Orion6140624
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 45
IE Version: 8.0

Post by Orion6140624 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:38 pm

No Use to me really, it keeps opening 2 tabs when I search from it #-o

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by Sara » Sun May 17, 2009 5:50 am

Sorry Matt, I knew it wasn't yours, I didn't need to check. I worded that wrong, I guess. A suggestion to Anderson--If he used the test site so the the staff got warning of at least the bigger changes so they could explain them to everyone else, and, perhaps to suggest ways to minimize user panic? I just got rid of a minor trojan horse in my system--the first in years that's gotten thru--and losing my Home page pushed the panic button for me.

statm1

Post by statm1 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:39 am

Its alright Sara..

Apparently in today's build, B29.. The bug where it opens up two tabs when you search using the browser:home search box has been fixed. Others will have to confirm whether the blank page bug is still present or not since I have never experienced it.
-- Matt --

Orion6140624
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 45

Post by Orion6140624 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:32 am

GREAT!! :clap: Build 29 got it right now with the "Browser:Home page" :thumbup: Now, if only I had the option to search for Images, Groups etc Just as the Search Bar :think:

DerSpike
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64 SP1 German
Avant Version: latest version
IE Version: IE 9

Post by DerSpike » Mon May 18, 2009 1:56 pm

I like this new featurte very much, but I'ld like to customize the number of shown entries, i want more than 26...

buttons for google pics, maps, etc. would be nice...

greetz, spike

statm1

Post by statm1 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:01 pm

Having a drop down menu to choose to search for images, groups, etc. would be interesting.

Oh and DerSpike.. If you have the W7 RC then the IE8 build that you have is more or less final. They are just doing finishing touches for the W7 version.
-- Matt --

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue May 19, 2009 1:31 am

statm1 wrote:I feel bad for Anderson, every new feature he tries to add to Avant everyone hates, i.e. Download manager and now the browser:home page.
I don't think it's the features as much as how they're implemented automatically with no warning. If somebody ran up and shoved a stick of cotton candy in your face, would you eat it?

I'll probably forget to post a new thread on this, but maybe instead of just turning this stuff on, the "Congratulations" page could include the change log with a method of activating the new feature from there... an internal page in Avant that interfaces with browser options.

As for the browser:home page... I really like it. That feature in Chrome was the only reason I would use it from time to time to quickly pop onto a site I frequent a lot.

Two things I'd like to see done with it, though... removing the correlation between History and the page's contents. If you don't want the Most Visited and History list cleared, you have to set Avant to not clear your History. I don't care if someone on my computer knows I went to hornakapopolis.com, I just don't want them to know when... so I clear my history.

Second, maybe a continuing method of tracking Most Visited. I'll keep an eye on it over time, but it doesn't seem to immediately differentiate between pages on a domain and the domain. Not a big deal, but I have 3 sites I'm on a lot and I see that list quickly being filled with pages from those three domains. Like I said, I'll keep an eye on it over time.

I was never a fan of home pages. I always considered creating a local one of my own containing the majority of my links (a vtel57 idea, by the way), but now I'm going to use this. This is the first time I've had something open by choice in a new tab or new window in over a decade.

edit: I hadn't checked out the search function on the page, but kudos for using your default search and not AvantFind by default. I didn't try it earlier because I assumed it would use AvantFind. =D>

statm1

Post by statm1 » Tue May 19, 2009 4:43 am

Not to be contradictory but I don't think any feature is really sprung on you. I just think that it raised negative concerns because it hijacked your homepage. If it had never done that(which it doesn't anymore as of build 29) then I don't think anyone would of had any problems with it.

A feature can be turned on just don't change anything that I've manually changed myself.
-- Matt --

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by Sara » Tue May 19, 2009 5:03 am

OK, I'm up to Build 29, where do I find this tab? I looked under File, View, Tools and Avant Browser Options. Does the fact that I open 2 home pages routinely shut it off?

statm1

Post by statm1 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:45 am

You can add a "New Tab" button to the toolbar and it will be listed in the drop down along with (blank page, current page, homepage, or "From clipboard"). This button isn't on by default.
-- Matt --

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1

Post by bksening » Tue May 19, 2009 5:38 pm

statm1 wrote:Not to be contradictory but I don't think any feature is really sprung on you. I just think that it raised negative concerns because it hijacked your homepage.
But when browser:home was initially introduced, it did hijack your homepage. That definitely counts as having that feature sprung on us!

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue May 19, 2009 6:54 pm

Okay... good. I'm not the only one thinking that that was pretty much the definition of "sprung on us." ;)

statm1

Post by statm1 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:51 pm

I didn't mean that hijacking the homepage wasn't the defintion of having something sprung on you. I meant if it hadn't hijacked your homepage and the feature didn't have to be turned on first then it wouldn't have been sprung on you. Since nothing you had manually set was changed. So it wouldn't have disrupted you.
-- Matt --

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed May 20, 2009 1:23 am

Yeah, you're essentially saying, if it wasn't sprung on us, it wouldn't be sprung on us.

I think that we were just continuing the conversation in regards to your comment about feeling sorry for Anderson because of everyone not liking his new features. My point was that, I think, a lot of the problem is that they are sprung on people and so people immediately have this negative psychological reaction to the feature. Personally, I never understood why the download manager was removed. There have been plenty of other features that have been just as quirky that have been left in. But, I also really never understood that dislike of it. I think most of it has to do it with it just "appearing." Download managers are something people either hunt out or don't bother with, so having it turned on by default is just asking for trouble.

If things are going to be turned on, their intrusiveness should be considered. I don't think going by "something I've manually changed" is a good rule of thumb because... customization is one of the points of the browser. So, I guess you could either have a way to tell if a feature is different from the default or you could make some sort of introduction to the feature. Personally, I think that having the one row of toolbars being the main buttons, the address bar, and the search bar is the only thing I haven't changed manually.

I don't want to sound like I'm arguing you here, because I think overall, we're trying to make the same point.

I just thought, maybe the new feature could be activated by default when it's added, but a tooltip appears noting it. A small tooltip appears by a new toolbar or a slightly larger one pointing out that there's a new feature. Maybe even a link to the area of the options where it can be turned off or the link turns its off itself. Image