Avant Browser

Avant Browser community forum
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
Poston: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:53 pm 

Windows Version: Vista
Avant Version: 11.5.21
IE Version: 7.0.6
I just started recently using Windows Vista, and I hate Vista and I hate IE7. In seventeen years, since the launch of Windows 95, this is the first time I've ever hated Microsoft products.

I've just learned about Avant Browser yesterday. I've been using it for a few hours. I like how I can make Avant Browser look like IE6; but it doesn't quite act like IE6.

I’ve tried to search this forum for information on removing the tab feature.

1.) I HATE TABS

How do I turn off tabbed browsing completely?

I don't ever want to see the "Windows Tabs" toolbar ever again. It's visual clutter in the browser window.

I prefer to have several browser windows open at the same time, each with its own button on the Windows taskbar. Furthermore, I prefer to arrange these buttons between taskbar buttons for programs like Word and Photoshop, content arranged in order with similar content, with every piece of content always within eyesight, and always within immediate reach of the mouse pointer, on the Windows taskbar.

I right-click on a link and choose the "Open in New Window" command. Opens a new tab. I don't want this. I want buttons on the Windows Taskbar. Ok, there's the "Open in New Avant Browser" command. Now I have what I want. But this right-click context menu is too cluttered. I always want this menu to be easier to use, for my elderly parents, who know how to websurf just perfectly in IE6. How do I remove some of these commands? Is there a way I can make "Open in New Window" do what "Open in New Avant Browser" does?

Most annoyingly, if I click on a pop-up link (not sure I'm using the right term here), such as a game in Shockwave or a link in a Hotmail message, I want that link to automatically open in a new browser window, with a corresponding button on the Windows taskbar. IE6 does this. But Avant Browser, instead, opens these links into new tabs. How do I make these links open into new windows?

2.) AVANT DOES NOT LAUNCH LIKE IE6

I could click on IE6's Quick Launch icon (or double-click the desktop icon) three times if I wanted three open browser windows, each with a corresponding button on the Windows taskbar.

Doesn't matter if I use Avant Browser's icon in the Quick Launch bar, or the desktop icon, or its listing in the Programs group: if an Avant Browser window is already open, then it just pops back into view. One single taskbar button, always.

How do I make Avant Browser launch like IE?

3.) WHERE'S THE "FILE...OPEN" COMMAND?

When I select Avant Browser's "File...Open a Link" menu command, and type in a URL, it places that URL into the Address box, which remains there (until all browsing history is cleared). This is a major distraction. Mozilla Firefox does the same thing, and that’s one reason why I’m not using Mozilla Firefox.

In IE, I use the "File...Open" menu command, type in the URL, and the only record that remains is within IE's history folder. I only use the Address box for those websites I visit every single day, and I enter those websites by typing directly into the Address box. I prefer to use IE's "File...Open" command when I'm not certain I'll need to make note of a URL. This also makes web-browsing a much tidier experience.

Why doesn't Avant Browser's "File...Open a Link" menu command act like IE's "File...Open" menu command?

4.) PROGRESS BAR?

IE's status bar is very useful, showing a progress bar that gives an indication of how much web content remains to be downloaded...or if the website is stuck “hanging” (so I can click the “Stop” button followed by the “Refresh” button, and thus see if the Internet has just suffered a “temporary glitch” or if the website in question is truly down for the count).

Why isn’t there such a progress bar in Avant Browser’s status bar?

Post Reply #1 on: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:11 pm 
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Windows Version: XP Home, Pro - up to date
Avant Version: 11.7 B23
IE Version: I.E. 7
Hi there,
1. I'm not sure there is a way to disable tabbed browsing. But to disable the tab toolbar, right-click it, go to Toolbars, and uncheck "Window Tabs". I don't recommend doing this though, because then it's harder to switch tabs.
2. I'm don't think there's a way to launch new browsers via the Quick Launch. But you can open a new browser by going to File > New Avant Browser, or right-clicking the taskbar button (in the bottom right corner of the screen), and clicking "New Avant Browser".
3. You can delete links in the address bar menu. Just right-click them, and click "delete".
4. Avant's progress bar (since V. 11) is in the address bar.
Hope this helps. If I'm wrong on any of this, somebody please correct me.

Avant Browser 11.7 Build 23
Internet Explorer 7
AVG Antivirus Free Edition 8.0
Windows Firewall

Post Reply #2 on: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:12 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantus Maximus

Windows Version: Windows 7 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2014
Default engine: Firefox / Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers
I'll quote Noyb's post so that most of the answers will be in one place.
Noyb wrote:
1. I'm not sure there is a way to disable tabbed browsing. But to disable the tab toolbar, right-click it, go to Toolbars, and uncheck "Window Tabs". I don't recommend doing this though, because then it's harder to switch tabs.
Avant is a tabbed browser. You can not turn off tabs.
Noyb wrote:
2. I'm don't think there's a way to launch new browsers via the Quick Launch. But you can open a new browser by going to File > New Avant Browser, or right-clicking the taskbar button (in the bottom right corner of the screen), and clicking "New Avant Browser".
You can create a shortcut with this in its Target line: "I:\Program Files\Avant Browser\avant.exe" -runextra. But that still won't stop page generated popups from opening a new tab in Avant.
Noyb wrote:
4. Avant's progress bar (since V. 11) is in the address bar.
...on the tab you're currently on. On other opened tabs, it's in the tab itself.

Maybe someone can recommend some good IE-based, non-tabbed browsers, but if you're resolute about not wanting a tabbed browser, then I'd say Avant is not the browser for you.

Since this lists multiple topics in one thread, I'm going to move it outside of Help and to Discussion so that we can keep it open.

Post Reply #3 on: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:02 pm 
Avantic
Avantic

Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8
Modeste N. wrote:
... 1.) I HATE TABS
How do I turn off tabbed browsing completely? ...
Congratulations, you're the first person I've ever met who doesn't like tabbed browsing!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post Reply #4 on: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:44 pm 
Semi-Guru

Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10
Well when the concept of tabs first came out I knew a few that didn't see the point in tabs. But they came around eventually. Mostly because IE6 got uninstalled.

Post Reply #5 on: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:00 am 
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A
wasn't one of the main points for Avant Browser to have tabs?

Post Reply #6 on: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:46 am 
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Windows Version: XP Home, Pro - up to date
Avant Version: 11.7 B23
IE Version: I.E. 7
addonsfan wrote:
wasn't one of the main points for Avant Browser to have tabs?

Yes

Avant Browser 11.7 Build 23
Internet Explorer 7
AVG Antivirus Free Edition 8.0
Windows Firewall

Post Reply #7 on: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:08 am 
Semi-Guru

Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10
That is 99% of the reason why I hate IE6 no tabs. I can't stand having tons of windows open cluttering up things. Tabs make the internet much more organized.

Post Reply #8 on: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:28 pm 
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Windows Version: Win7.64bit.HP
Avant Version: 2010b122
IE Version: 8.0.6001
Why would you need to use Avant browser if you didnt like tabs? Tabs are Avants bread and butter. Is multi-tasking a sin? Or maybe you're habits are so old you can't adjust to better ways of doing things.

Post Reply #9 on: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:09 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantus Maximus

Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 Build 6 Lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal
I'm beginning to think the OP was engaged in a bit of leg pulling...

Sara :?

Post Reply #10 on: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:27 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Semi-Avantic

Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A
Seeing that the originating post is now over two weeks old, and that it contains the members only post, I am locking this thread as the flamebait that is has become.

This post contains one or more words known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash your eyes after reading.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]