Avant Exodus

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

tuck
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Vista Business
Avant Version: Current USB
IE Version: 7

Re: Avant Exodus

Post by tuck » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:13 pm

I'm confused where the term "exodus" is coming from. How does anyone tell how many people have stopped using a browser. In terms of this forum, is 15 people a lot? 15 regulars, maybe. When you consider all of the people in the world, the number would have to get even higher. Either way, you would still have to be able to accurately track the number.

If someone doesn't like how something is going, why can't they just state their reasons without making it sound like they're speaking for the masses? Do they think so little of their own opinion?

Tekk
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: IE 8

Post by Tekk » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:09 pm

Psykocyber wrote:Spectacular post. And the only place i disagree is with the download manager. On normal servers I get 200kB/s, but with a download manager I get up to 1700kB/s. I love download managers.
Is it because you can download several files at once? I was reading somewhere like PC Magazine or PC World, that Internet Explorer default is only two downloads at once, and that can't be increased without making a registry adjustment or something. I know I don't like to mess with my registry when I can find an application which does it for me. I'm going to visit a Download Manager's programmer's website and read the feature set, maybe that will explain their function and appeal to me better. The few times I actually used one I think it came bundled with something, and I didn't understand why it was there or how to take advantage of it's full feature set.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:53 pm

You can download more than 1 file at once with IE, But it shouldn't increase your download speed.
Download speed usually depends on the current server's condition, Your internet connection's limit and your internet connection status.
For example, If you have a 2.5mbps broadband connection then your download speed should usually be around 250kb/s. So if you'll download 2 files simultaneously and both will be with the maximal speed, You won't get more than about 150kb/s per 1 file.
But if the server will have some problem or have a limited download speed then a download accelerator can help because it can set more than 1 connection to download the same file, And you may get your maximal download speed for downloading from the same server.
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

Psykocyber
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3, Vista SP1, Win 7
Avant Version: V11.7 B21
IE Version: IE7 & IE8

Post by Psykocyber » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:40 pm

Tekk wrote:Is it because you can download several files at once?
I actually don't know how many files I can download with IE at once, but since I allways use Orbit it isn't a problem.

Download managers are great!
Danish translator of Avant Browser, Folder2MyPC, Folderico & Google

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:11 am

I believe theres a limit of about 3 downloads at a time in IE.
-- Matt --

lorvince
Windows Version: xp pro
Avant Version: 11.5 build 21
IE Version: 7

Post by lorvince » Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

I was so thrilled the first time I used Avant browser I thought it would be great for replacing or alternate for ie and firefox. After having it installed awhile in my computer I've had freezing during page requests and during web surfing and also effected my computer.
I've since uninstalled and went back to firefox.

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Post by josephrot » Wed May 14, 2008 9:25 am

Definitely a long, but interesting dissertation.

There is a budding movement, you might call it, to have Anderson and the SlimBrowser people meet, with the base idea being combining Avant and SlimBrowser positives, and coming up with a new browsing or a single browsing product.

Could be interesting, yet there just seem to be too many negatives that would outweigh the positives.

Even with Anderson working also on Orca Browser, perhaps taking Avant into the Orca and Mozilla-based engine? Then again, maybe that already IS what Orca is.
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

statm1

Post by statm1 » Thu May 15, 2008 10:48 pm

That is already what Orca is. Orca is identical to Avant except for the gecko engine.
-- Matt --

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Fri May 16, 2008 6:48 am

statm1 wrote:That is already what Orca is. Orca is identical to Avant except for the gecko engine.
Thank you, Matt...
That confirms that line of thought.

Brings up the new / existing thought:

That maybe, just maybe, one can soon abandon the Triton / IE engines and shift much more Avant and Anderson attention to gecko engine side, and really fire up Avant to be far faster overall, and more reliable, and perhaps better memory usage?

Saying the above based on what's being seen in Firefox 3 B5, and the FF3 RC is ready, at least from seeing the innards of the nightly builds on the FF3 Mozilla areas.

However, seeing FF3....Orca, in the guise of Avant Gecko, can truly take the gecko engine multi-tabbed browsers to places and levels that Mozilla can't, won't or can expend the time or effort.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Fri May 16, 2008 11:42 am

josephrot wrote: That maybe, just maybe, one can soon abandon the Triton / IE engines and shift much more Avant and Anderson attention to gecko engine side, and really fire up Avant to be far faster overall, and more reliable, and perhaps better memory usage?
Well, If Avant won't use the Trident engine then I personally won't use Avant.
Main PC:

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Fri May 16, 2008 12:28 pm

abfan123 wrote:Well, If Avant won't use the Trident engine then I personally won't use Avant.
I tend to agree.

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by addonsfan » Fri May 16, 2008 12:47 pm

abfan123 wrote:Well, If Avant won't use the Trident engine then I personally won't use Avant.
that would probably be the end of Avant, if that were to ever happen.

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Fri May 16, 2008 3:22 pm

abfan123 wrote:
josephrot wrote: That maybe, just maybe, one can soon abandon the Triton / IE engines and shift much more Avant and Anderson attention to gecko engine side, and really fire up Avant to be far faster overall, and more reliable, and perhaps better memory usage?
Well, If Avant won't use the Trident engine then I personally won't use Avant.
In a way, I tend to agree too... I don't really want to see Avant abandon the Triton engine...

HOWEVER, by way of one prime example:

If IE6 and also IE7 can not -- and they do not as of now -- reproduce and display a transparent 8 bit AND 24 bit transparent PNG image, yet Firefox 3 does both perfectly and properly...

What are we to all do ?

Firefox 3 does the above need, and MANY others, because it IS standards oriented and applies them.

There are of course other needs and examples, but so far, IE6 and IE7 leave more than a little something lacking, and they use the Triton engines.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Fri May 16, 2008 4:05 pm

Both 8-bit and 24-bit PNG can be displayed properly in IE7 and IE8.
josephrot wrote: In a way, I tend to agree too... I don't really want to see Avant abandon the Triton engine...

HOWEVER, by way of one prime example:

If IE6 and also IE7 can not -- and they do not as of now -- reproduce and display a transparent 8 bit AND 24 bit transparent PNG image, yet Firefox 3 does both perfectly and properly...

What are we to all do ?

Firefox 3 does the above need, and MANY others, because it IS standards oriented and applies them.

There are of course other needs and examples, but so far, IE6 and IE7 leave more than a little something lacking, and they use the Triton engines.
Main PC:

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Fri May 16, 2008 10:00 pm

abfan123 wrote:Both 8-bit and 24-bit PNG can be displayed properly in IE7 and IE8.
josephrot wrote: quote]
Not PNG Transparencies, at least not so far in IE7.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:17 pm

PNG Alpha-Transparent support was amongst the main features added into IE7.
Can you please provide an example of what doesn't work?
Perhaps we're talking about different things here...
josephrot wrote: Not PNG Transparencies, at least not so far in IE7.
Main PC:

Drago
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Drago » Fri May 16, 2008 11:18 pm

statm1 wrote:That is already what Orca is. Orca is identical to Avant except for the gecko engine.
That's very interesting... I should give also Orca a look. ;)
GreetZ Drago

MICROPROSE, I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU!

statm1

Post by statm1 » Sat May 17, 2008 6:04 am

If the arguement is that Trident should be abandoned simply because of the engines in IE6/7 then I dont agree. Simple because of what has been promised and what has been seen proving that the promise is being met in the next version of IE, IE8. Combine Avant with a final version of the revamped, rearchitected engine that is coming in IE8 and you decrease the reasons to use a browser with the gecko, presto, or webkit engines other than because you want to use them.

The original point that Mozilla used to grow its empire was because of its safety and the fact that it rendered sites compliantly. With IE7 and IE8 those points will no longer be true. Mozilla and Microsoft will finally be on a level playing ground so far as engines are concerned. With Avants help the playing ground will be level in many more areas. Such as customizability and alot better tab capability.

Now, I am by no means saying I wouldn't love a gecko Avant in Orca, that is more up to date then the currently released version. It would be a great compliment to Avant and would probably greatly add to the userbase. And, while I haven't seen a build myself. I am hearing that a Gecko 1.9(FF3) version of Orca is shaping up pretty nicely.
-- Matt --

gustavog
Avant Version:

Post by gustavog » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:24 pm

I am hacked to AB cause it manages favorites better than any other browser. I also like to configure the way it opens new tabs. I decided to revert to AB 11.0.46 because it works quite fine but I got a lot of trouble with the last version.

I will wait untill Che Andersen to improve its product in order to download something better tan AB 11.0.46. Actually, I feel confortable with AB 11.0.46!

Tekk
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
IE Version: IE 8

Post by Tekk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:42 pm

josephrot wrote:Definitely a long, but interesting dissertation.

There is a budding movement, you might call it, to have Anderson and the SlimBrowser people meet, with the base idea being combining Avant and SlimBrowser positives, and coming up with a new browsing or a single browsing product.

Could be interesting, yet there just seem to be too many negatives that would outweigh the positives.

Even with Anderson working also on Orca Browser, perhaps taking Avant into the Orca and Mozilla-based engine? Then again, maybe that already IS what Orca is.
I find this concept fascinating, it would really be a great product if it worked. I am not able to anticipate all of the "too many negatives that would outweigh the positives" as you mention, but I am sure they are there. I think a creative collaboration with a strong common vision for the completed project could pull it off, negatives considered. Are the developers in different Countries, continents, it seems projects get developed this way all the time, take Sourceforge for example. I think creative differences would definitely have to be stated and then ironed out before the project started, or it could quickly unravel into a mess of bickering, with little to nothing getting accomplished.

Has anyone else heard that after Mozilla releases Thunderbird 3, they are going to create a "new" browser engine that would be entirely unique and unrelated to Gecko for future projects? I read something like that somewhere, but I read so much every day I cannot remember the source, or the reliability of the source. I am not opposed to trying Orca once it is undergoing development with new releases again, the fact Orca has remained dormant for so long has sort of made me stand-offish to considering Orca. Also the occasional posts and articles I read in tech magazines I keep finding, which are trying to disspell the myth that Mozilla and Firefox are the untarnished giants they have been hyped up to be. Here is a really old post I can locate right off hand, though few tech writers in the mainstream publications dare to utter such heresy in the anti-Microsoft climate of geeks and techno-gods:
Firefox Myths http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html
Freeware Browsers http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/Free ... wsers.html
The Most Comprehensive and Complete Web Browser Memory Usage List - Neowin Forums http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s ... 34949&st=0 (Make sure to scroll all the way down to see the gecko comparisons. You must scroll even further to see the comparison table and comparison chart. The data seems to change over to random posts, but then picks up again a couple posts down the page.)

I usually don't bother to save tech news articles or blog posts as Favorites for tech articles like these, instead if I like them enough I save them to a social engine like Furl, Wurldbook, Yahoo! Webs, or del.icio.us. I like Furl because it saves a cached copy of a webpage you can keep if the host takes it down, and you need it for a resource or reference later on. There are, (or were), two beta versions of Yahoo!s ever-changing Yahoo! Webs, one of which merely saved bookmarks which could only be saved as Tags, the other which saved bookmarks and a cached image of the page, plus you could choose between organizing the Webs/bookmarks either by Tags OR Folders. Or else I save them in Groups, where I usually throw everything I have open in a browsing session, I use Groups sort of as a day-by-day browsing history of what I was reading during browsing sessions, I usually title them by the Day, Date, and Main Topics, which is a considerable amount more reliable and lasts longer than Internet Explorer's, or any browser's Web History. Unfortunately, it's hard to remember and search for Titles of an individual blog post or news article this way, without opening each and every one of the hundreds of Groups I have saved, in the many formats of the several browsers I use.

I mean, I used Avant pretty much every day from 2004 to 2007, and since last summer I started cheating on my Avant Significant Browser. A little Firefox (yuck), a lot of SlimBrowser, not much Opera, and now I have used Maxthon for the last month, the Classic version of Maxthon 1.06.03 buld 80, which was released Oct 2007, even though this browser is concentrating all of it's development on Maxthon 2. I do have the latest build of Avant installed, and I use it weekly, but still too buggy to make my primary browser. SlimBrowser is still faster than Maxthon for me as far as opening pages, but it has more features like I use in Avant, without the frequent crashes and consistent memory consumption. Every once in a while I get memory leaks with Maxthon, but not as immediately and annoyingly as with Avant, and the features are closer to Avant than are SlimBrowser.

I noticed that many of the Internet Explorer/Trident based browsers are from China or Japan, most from China, I wonder why that is? Maybe enough of them know programming code, if they don't like something they have the attitude of, "I'll just fix it myself?" I wonder how many of those browsers are developed by one programmer like Anderson Che, or how many have a coordinated project of programmers like Maxthon appears to have?

I'm not sharing all this to persuade people to leave Avant!! On the contrary, I want people to keep using Avant, so that I can return to making it my primary browser someday. Hopefully I will be able to purchase a newer computer (can't imagine how, "where there's a will there's a way?") with a modern CPU and motherboard, not to mention more RAM, and better Video card than what came in a computer purchase that I made all the way back in March 2001, when the very first 1500 mHz Pentium IV processors were being loaded into desktop computers. I am very blessed that this raggedy old thing still runs, I'm amazed it hasn't blown up into a clould of smoke already. The CD+-RW drive was replaced once for free, and broke again the day after the warranty expired. This HP Pavilion 9880 came with the Windows ME OEM software preinstalled, and I purchased a 3-year Platinum Service plan from CompUSA, which afforded me the ability to have them come to my home and install Windows XP for free. They made me wait 10 months, and then told me to go ahead and do it myself if I thought I could figure it out. (They couldn't keep qualified employees for the low wages they offered in my opinion.) I mostly did using the Upgrade CD because HP told me I could, and the CompUSA service manager told me I could, except I think I made a mistake and didn't upgrade the BIOS properly, and I also am not sure it was proper to select the NTFS filing system rather than the FAT 32 now. When I had difficulties and telephoned the 24-hour tech support, they asked me what operating system I had, Windows XP Pro I repled. They said, it says on our system here you have Windows ME, and I said I know, I used the Upgrade CD I purchased to make it XP Pro instead. They said, sorry can't help you, you just voided your service plan. Well, the manager who sold me the damn service plan told me to, he couldn't send anyone out for 10 months, staffing problem theirs not mine. Well, they couldn't correct their error and admit that they advise customers to install their own upgrades after we paid a pretty penny for Platinum service and extended warranty. They never kept their end of any of the numerous extended warranties, cleaning plans, and other stuff I bought. They just couldn't staff and keep staff at that particular store location, it was in a downtown neighborhood, not the wealthy suburbs, you know if you have ever lived in a downtown, or even revived or restored downtown neighborhood in a large metropolitan area. Denver is a lot larger than people who have never been here realized. The suburbs last forever, and most of the people on the road are from Texas and Los Angelos, than actually Colorado born natives, most of whom move away after they graduate from High School. We had a blessed job-rich economy until late 2001, I lived a financially comfortable life here during the 1990s, before I came down with life-threatening illnesses. Sorry so long, point being, I could probably run Avant consistently more on a faster computer, with a properly installed Windows XP Pro, proper BIOS and Registry maintenance, and more memory and CPU available to withstand memory leaks and other bugs.