Smart Ad/Popup blocker filtering

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

malefrancesfarmer
Avant Version: 11.5 Build 21

Smart Ad/Popup blocker filtering

Post by malefrancesfarmer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:58 am

I sometimes like to watch internet TV but find that Avant Browser prevents me from opening feeds such as various college TV station feeds and Desync HQ because it filters ads and popups that my media players (VLC and RealPlayer) have to get through in order to open the main viewing window. I end up scribbling down the blocked URL from Avant Browser's report box and then manually adding it to the allow list in Tools/Avant Browser Options/Ad Blocker and /Popup Blocker. It would be good if I could find at least a third-party tool to automate this process because going scribble, scribble, scribble, click, click, click, type, type, type every time I find a new internet TV station is time-consuming and quickly gets old.

I'm not posting this under Requests because I don't want Anderson to slash his wrists at the thought of having to implement a smart filter in Avant Browser itself. :D I know Mozilla Thunderbird's junkmail and scammail filter breaks wind, and the Mozilla people actually had a team of programmers to implement such things. So any ideas?

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Re: Smart Ad/Popup blocker filtering

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:14 pm

Avant has the View -> Blocked URLs list that shows what it has blocked and the rule that blocked that particular ad or popup. Right-clicking on these entries allows you to remove the rules that blocked them (which is usually not the best bet), add that particular URL to the exception list, or add the domain to the exception list.

No need for scribbling... ;)

malefrancesfarmer
Avant Version: 11.5 Build 21

Post by malefrancesfarmer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:23 pm

Thanks, horn. For other people's refrence, it's in the Avant Browser drop-down menu under View/Blocked URLs. In my config it just opens a stable and resizable side panel showing the ads blocked since Avant Browser was last fired up.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:34 pm

If you don't want it to clear those lists between sessions, uncheck the box at Tools -> Avant Browser Options -> Clear Records -> Blocked AD or Popup List.

Wr2r
Avant Version: 11.5 Build 20

Post by Wr2r » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:53 am

In fact, I don't understand why the Popup blocker will filter out file extension of ".mov"...
but it cannot filter out any content having URL ended with no file extention