Reverted to 10.2 52 and wow

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Lord Chaos
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows Vista 64 Bit
Avant Version: Ver. 11.5 Build 21
IE Version: IE 7

Reverted to 10.2 52 and wow

Post by Lord Chaos » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:38 pm

All the tabs now work
No memory leak issue
Large groups can now be accessed (unlike version 11, no idea why it was changed so you can't access individual groups if you have several large ones (it will expand and cover the other groups)
Favorites now work faster (much faster, I have some 1200 favorites and they were pretty slow in ver 11)
The browser is just overall much faster.
Tabs react faster
The tabs no longer resize left and right
The tab buttons are back in the rightful place in the top right corner.

The only problem is that in ver 10.2 52 I can't remove the X on the tabs :(

Looking back into the past like this really makes me sad about where ver 11 went :(

I love Avant!

KY Dave
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP Home, Pro, Vista, Win 7
Avant Version: 11.7 build 46SR
IE Version: 8.0.7600.3865

Re: Reverted to 10.2 52 and wow

Post by KY Dave » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:03 pm

I think some of the problem is with the new RSS reader. I think it is accessing feed info and slowing down the entire function of the browser.

It's too bad about it too, I'm interested in using RSS, but version 11 doesn't work dependable enough to use it. So, i'm stuck with 10.2 build 25.
KY Dave

Family Blog

Lord Chaos
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Lord Chaos » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:16 pm

I don't even have any RSS feeds :/ and it still messed up *sigh*

I would stick with this version if it wasn't because I can't remove the X's on the tabs, which sucks.

Man, I forgot how blazingly fast Avant used to be even with tons of tabs open...I wonder what happened in Ver 11.

Lord Chaos
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Lord Chaos » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:36 am

The tabs are also blazingly fast to switch between using CTRL+arrow up or down. Contrary to ver. 11 where its really slow with many tabs :(

Psykocyber
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3, Vista SP1, Win 7
Avant Version: V11.7 B21
IE Version: IE7 & IE8

Post by Psykocyber » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:37 pm

V11 has allways bin full of bugs and glitches and other slowdowns. Like the memory/CPU issue in V11 before V11.5.
And now the focus bug and also the freeze bug if you open several pages very quickly.
Danish translator of Avant Browser, Folder2MyPC, Folderico & Google

Tekk
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: IE 8

Post by Tekk » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:20 am

I contemplate about reverting to Avant 10.2.52 every day, for at least a minute. I am trying to remember if Avant 11.0.46 had any decent features that made it memorable. I know it's only been since April or May since I started using the 11.5 betas and release candidates, but I already can't remember if there was anything I liked about the 11.0.b46 and prior builds or not. They did have the System Buttons where I like them. I've been using those 11.0 builds since October of 2006, every time a new build came out. After the later 11.5 betas started coming, I deleted all of the version 10,s off my hard drive, except for build 52, but I know someone keeps an archive around here if I needed anything older than that. I doubt I ever will, which is why I erased all of the installations older than build 52.

For some reason, I remember for just a short time that there was a stable build for people using IE 6.0 after the 11s or 11.5s started, and I remembered I ran it for a week with a bunch of windows open, never having to restart Windows or Avant, and it was running great, and I was thinking, "now if only this had the system buttons in the movable toolbar at the top of the title bar where I like them, in the old Compact Style, when it was still compact to select that feature." I ache for the use of my mind's memory again, at least the limited way it functioned even 4 short years ago I would be happy.

After I was reading this thread for a minute, something occured to me, and I thought about it, and something made sense all of a sudden that I never thought of before. A lot of times I am using Avant, and I have less than 10 windows open so nothing excessive there, so I am assuming that since I don't have more than ONE or TWO at most other software apps besides Avant running, I shouldn't have any slowdowns or crashes to worry about with my computer. Without warning Avant freezes, and I can usually move my mouse all over the screen, click on the tabs in the Windows Taskbar, click on Avant's tabs, try to open files, right-click, anything, and EVERYTHING is FROZEN, including Windows XP. I noticed lately I get this condition temporarily because my CPU is at 100%, but I can't figure out why, since my Task Manager is showing Avant using 70,000 K of Memory or less, and my FreeRAM XP Pro icon in the System Tray shows I have plenty of my total 640MB of RAM remaining (at least 140-200MB RAM), and Cacheman icon shows VM usage in acceptable range (no more than 180-250MB Virtual Memory).

Then SUDDENLY after 1-4 minutes of nothing, all of the items I clicked during the freeze will function at once!! This doesn't always happen, but when it does it's sort of funny, but not funny. The system clock will pop up 4 running instances of itself, the windows will minimize and maximize about three times! Several context menus will appear and dissappear in quick succession like they are possessed by a demon or something.

I THINK AFTER READING YOUR POSTS HERE I KNOW WHY. Someone mentioned that the RSS feeds always run, which means all of the RSS locations I put in there a couple of years ago like during 2004-2005 mostly, a couple in 2006 . . . they all refresh and download the latest headlines at once maybe?!! Maybe ALL at the SAME TIME?!!? And I have no way of knowing this because I stopped using my RSS feeds a long time ago, since I found I was just too busy to peruse them, and I limited my news reading to just whatever caught my eye on my Comcast ISP portal homepage, or MSN/Windows Live Hotmail or something, and then the blogs that I put in my Links toolbar dropdown folders, full of quick-access bookmarks/favorites I created to save time searching through my 20,000 plus bookmarks (and their mostly well-organized folders) for my most frequently-used bookmarks.

Can this possibly happen? All RSS feeds decide to refresh at once (I set them to do so once every 20 minutes), and Avant freezes every time this happens, and then magically to me since I don't know what is going on, it miraculously just starts working again. That is kind of funny, if it didn't get on my nerves so bad, because I did it to myself, and I was sort of obsessed for a short time with collecting as many of my favorite RSS feeds as I could, not realizing that I would never have the time to read them all.

I know this isn't the "Help" section, it's just the remark Dave made, "I think some of the problem is with the new RSS reader. I think it is accessing feed info and slowing down the entire function of the browser." http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 32#p132932 It got me to wondering if that was slowing my system down, since I had so many feeds in my collection. I haven't read any of them in nearly a year, if not longer, but maybe they could request refreshed headlines without me knowing so? That would explain why there are two instances of iexplore.exe in my Task Manager maybe? I don't even know if that behavior is possible or not, if I am not asking the Feeds to open and give me headlines at all, ever?

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:49 pm

Well, your theory could easily be tested by removing your feeds from Avant. I'm sure most would be curious to hear your results.

As a side note, though, your mention of your CPU going to 100% even though the three items you mentioned state that you have compare different things. Your CPU going to 100% is telling you the something is using all of your processor's processing power. It really doesn't have anything to do with your RAM. If you think of the processor as a conveyor belt and the RAM as the loading area to put things on the conveyor belt, then you might have a large area to store stuff waiting to get on the conveyor belt, but if you stick something really heavy on that belt, it's going to slow everything down and you're not going to be able to do anything for a little while, even though you have a lot of room to keep putting stuff in your loading area.

Not a big deal, but it's easy to confuse these things, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Lord Chaos
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Lord Chaos » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:09 pm

I don't have any RSS feeds. I've gone back to the newest avant browser and all the issues returned. :(

Sadly I couldn't live with version tens lack of the ability to remove the red X's on the tabs *sigh*

But man it was a good version and I am sad Andersen decided to tamper with it for the worse in many areas. (and some purposeless, why completely break the functionality of groups with many URLs?)

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:26 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:.... If you think of the processor as a conveyor belt and the RAM as the loading area to put things on the conveyor belt, then you might have a large area to store stuff waiting to get on the conveyor belt, but if you stick something really heavy on that belt, it's going to slow everything down and you're not going to be able to do anything for a little while, even though you have a lot of room to keep putting stuff in your loading area. ....
I haven't heard that analogy before, I like it.

Tekk
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: IE 8

Post by Tekk » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:33 am

All things considered, I think in order to run any newer Version of Windows like XP, and especially Windows Vista (I haven't even played with that one yet), I wouldn't try to do it again without at least a 3Ghz+ - 4Ghz+ processor, with the hyperthreading and dual cores if at all possible. Avant probably doesn't need all that alone, but if you want to play games, run a good photo tool like Gimp or Photoshop, listen to and burn music and movies, use Office software, along with all of the time saving utilities available for download and purchase, all the works, my old 1500mhz processor is just holding me over until I can manage something better.

I like Denny's analogy of the conveyor belt. Then I wonder, how does your video processor handle data differently than the processor and RAM? It discriminately knows the difference between video data, and data that run other non-visual applications? Then video cards also have RAM of their own, usually not as much as the computer itself uses for staging all the other data? Computer sales persons need to know how to make such clear analogies so that consumers know what they are getting when they make a computer purchase, more importantly, inexperienced buyers making their first computer purchases. Instead they push off everything on the sales floor they either need to get rid of, or will make a bigger sales commission from, depending on how much money they figure you are willing to spend.

With version 11.0.builds and 11.5.builds of Avant, for me they have just a few things I would keep it for, not to want to go all the way back to Version 10.0.52 again. Now I remember at least one, and that is I started using the new Bookmarks instead of the IE Favorites, and switching back would create more reorganization work for me, plus I purchased a downloadable third-party bookmark manager and convertor anyway.

Someone PLEASE try to help me REMEMBER, but wasn't version 11.0, just a LITTLE BIT or SLIGHTLY MORE stable than 11.5? My memory is really twacked, but it just seems like it was, I had a whole lotta confusion going on here that I seriously can't remember. It was approximately around October 2006 when complete 11.0 builds were ready, until March or April 2007 when the 11.5 betas started rolling out. The 11.5 Release Candidates were ready in late May 2007. (I remember these because of the dates Windows Explorer stamped on the .executable setup files when I downloaded them.)

Misty
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Misty » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:18 pm

I have used Avant for more than a year now and have refused to use any other browser BUT I am now considering to change cause this latest one is just a damn pain and frustrating as ****.......I am really getting to the stage wherew I have just had it...... :evil:

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by addonsfan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:07 am

It's all Adobe's fault.

PVTele
Avant Version:

Post by PVTele » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:35 pm

I had the RSS problem myself, but I did have 80+ feeds. It's a nice reader, but AB was completely bogged down till I cleared all the feeds and reverted to Google Reader, and reinstalled, whereupon 11.5 became its usual sleek and agile self again.

malefrancesfarmer
Avant Version: 11.5 Build 21

Post by malefrancesfarmer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:40 am

If people have found any issues/no issues with using a third-party RSS reader in conjunction with Avant Browser, please reply. I'm new to RSS and don't want to find out that an RSS reader I've carefully selected for its features changes my default Avant Browser language to Swahili, or something.

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:13 pm

If you dont want to use Avant's RSS reader than there are plenty of perfecty acceptable alternatives.
Google Reader
RSS Bandit(open source)
Feeddemon(trial, but pretty good)

Just to name a few. But, I tend to not use RSS much because I dont mind going from website to website. Alot of people put alot of work in their sites and to use RSS and not even see it, naaa.
-- Matt --

malefrancesfarmer
Avant Version: 11.5 Build 21

Post by malefrancesfarmer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:19 pm

Thanks for the shortlist of RSS readers. :wink: Kidding. I know it's not a shortlist as such, but rather a short list. :D

I picture myself getting all my RSS feeds by finding a website with a feed and liking whatever the author has to say or has done. Since his/her page isn't necessarily going to change every day, and if it does the feed will either describe the changes or actually contain them, I doubt it would be a big deal for me not to visit the same webpage all the time. Small-time webpage owners might even appreciate the lower bandwidth usage.

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:38 pm

Well, I mainly refering to larger sites since I don't frequent many small sites and the small ones I do visit the author isn't paying for bandwidth and they didn't really do much so far as putting thought into their site, for instance WL Spaces, Blogspot, and Wordpress.com.
-- Matt --

Wr2r
Avant Version: 11.5 Build 20

Post by Wr2r » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:50 am

can it block media with URL having no file extension?