AB 11.6, what can we expect?

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

ADukes
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: Internet Explorer 7

AB 11.6, what can we expect?

Post by ADukes » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:18 pm

The first signs of a new AB version (11.6) are visible, so what can we expect in addition to bug fixes? Moveable system buttons? Groups back on the main menu? A brand-new feature?
Thanks Anderson for checking out my AB 11.0 feature request list,
now it's time to go on with 11.8:

http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?t=16116
Windows XP SP2, IE7, AB 11.7 build 19

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Re: AB 11.6, what can we expect?

Post by abfan123 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:08 pm

Too early to say, I guess.
I won't disclose the existing new features, But I can say that your assumptions regarding the system buttons and groups are wrong. (So far.)
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

Shabba
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: WinXP 5.1.2600 SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 23
IE Version: 7.0.5730.13

Post by Shabba » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:59 am

In my eyes the most important thing is to fix the old bugs, which are still present! New features are nice, indeed. But the known bugs are very, very annoying. I'm asking myself if Avant with its bugs is still the browser I do preferr!

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:44 pm

First shabba. Finally theres a picture that shuns Firefox for Avant..

Second, Im a firm believer in there should always be at least one new feature in every version. But saying that, even if 11.6 has new features that doesnt automatically mean there arent bug fixes. So just have a wait and see approach instead of making a judgement on it just because it might have new features.
-- Matt --

angeldust
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Bld 127

Post by angeldust » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:18 pm

I too like your sigie pic shabba, but as statm says you'll just have to wait for the release of 11.6 by the developer to pass judgement.
To be Truly Loved is to Live, I HAVE Lived. Image

Shabba
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by Shabba » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:11 pm

Of course I understand that you must give Anderson time to eliminate the known bugs. But there are some heavy problems since many many versions. I have the impression that more value is attached to things like new logos and new features than on fixing very serious, old and known bugs.

I love Avant! I prefer it to every other browser. But some problems are so bad (and so old) that it is impossible to accept them. I'm forced to use Opera although in principle I prefer Avant. :(

It would be no problem but I hope, I do not have to change the image in my signature! :D

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:54 pm

Love the emoticons ;)

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:56 pm

Shabba wrote:Of course I understand that you must give Anderson time to eliminate the known bugs. But there are some heavy problems since many many versions. I have the impression that more value is attached to things like new logos and new features than on fixing very serious, old and known bugs.

I love Avant! I prefer it to every other browser. But some problems are so bad (and so old) that it is impossible to accept them. I'm forced to use Opera although in principle I prefer Avant. :(

It would be no problem but I hope, I do not have to change the image in my signature! :D

Are you talking about some serious bugs like the memory leaks/CPU usage issue?
I've tried to search your posts, But just found some minor bugs reports.
Can you please list all the major problems that you experience with Avant?
Main PC:

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:16 pm

I think we should keep in mind that that the seriousness of an issue will differ depending on the user. Personally, the (very) few times I used to get that popup error when I closed Avant, I found it extremely annoying. And I could see where one would have a hard time arguing that not being able to scroll a page and enter text wouldn't be a big deal to practically anybody.

Personally, I'd find it rude to be asked to repeat information which is readily available... unless there's an implication that the issues I've had before aren't important.

Shabba
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by Shabba » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:17 am

There are many "minor" bugs at the moment, indeed... But a bug which at first is rather minor becomes in the long run a bigger and bigger problem. The real problem then is not the bug itself (each software has different errors at the beginning) but the impression that the developer is not interested to fix this very long known problems. How shall I trust such a product (just as a businessman)? Definitely a browser must be reliable. Whether the logo looks nice or not is rather second-rate.

The most annoying bug at the moment is the problem with scrolling and the text fields. Both does not work anymore sporadically! Is this a minor bug? In my eyes NOT! The new tab and "click here, click there" workaround is not the solution of this problem! This rather irritates very much! The problem appeared in a certain version, so it must be rather easy to analyze and fix it. The CPU-problem is a "non-minor" bug, too. I do not have this problem here but here in the forum are enough posts with very strange CPU-bugreports. Because nothing happens, you must have the suspicion that nobody is interested in fixing the known bugs. A new logo is introduced instead and new features are presented. So there is enough time! This is ignorance, isn't it!

Please do not misunderstand! I'm so much annoyed because in my eyes Avant is really great. If it were unimportant for me, I simply would change to Opera. It is a pity if an excellent thing is neglected.

Psykocyber
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3, Vista SP1, Win 7
Avant Version: V11.7 B21
IE Version: IE7 & IE8

Post by Psykocyber » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:34 pm

I just hope he will fix the focus bug and the freeze bug (if you open many pages rappidly, like one every second).
Danish translator of Avant Browser, Folder2MyPC, Folderico & Google

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:24 am

Shabba wrote:
There are many "minor" bugs at the moment, indeed... But a bug which at first is rather minor becomes in the long run a bigger and bigger problem. The real problem then is not the bug itself (each software has different errors at the beginning) but the impression that the developer is not interested to fix this very long known problems. How shall I trust such a product (just as a businessman)? Definitely a browser must be reliable. Whether the logo looks nice or not is rather second-rate.

The most annoying bug at the moment is the problem with scrolling and the text fields. Both does not work anymore sporadically! Is this a minor bug? In my eyes NOT! The new tab and "click here, click there" workaround is not the solution of this problem! This rather irritates very much! The problem appeared in a certain version, so it must be rather easy to analyze and fix it. The CPU-problem is a "non-minor" bug, too. I do not have this problem here but here in the forum are enough posts with very strange CPU-bugreports. Because nothing happens, you must have the suspicion that nobody is interested in fixing the known bugs. A new logo is introduced instead and new features are presented. So there is enough time! This is ignorance, isn't it!

Please do not misunderstand! I'm so much annoyed because in my eyes Avant is really great. If it were unimportant for me, I simply would change to Opera. It is a pity if an excellent thing is neglected.

Scrolling and the text fields is definitely a major bug, But unfortunately, Not many of us could confirm it.
To fix it, The developer need to catch this bug first.
He've tried to reproduce this particular bug, But couldn't.
Main PC:

Shabba
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by Shabba » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:04 pm

This big is minor for those who do not have it. I cannot work with Avant and this bug. A minor bug in my eyes is the display error of favbar-icons when you right-clicked on it, for example.

It is nice to hear that the developer has taken notice of the major bug. If I've understood you correctly, he has not continued to work on it because he cannot reproduce it. I know that other manufacturers are grateful for contributions in the forum in such a case. They can get important information about the bug there. When does it happen? Which circumstances lead to it? And so on ... I've never taken notice of Anderson here. This is the point!

But I do not have the time and also no desire to be annoyed here. I don't want to argue either. I just want to use a good browser and Avant was very good, indeed!

blitzmaster
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x86
Avant Version: 11.7 build 26
IE Version: IE 8

Post by blitzmaster » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:27 am

i think that the problems varies form one user to another. i dont have much to complain about avant.

the pop-up blocking ability of Avant is still inferior compare to opera and firefox. this needs a big improvement.
By Any Means Necessary!

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:03 pm

Well to be fair.. Avant's popup blocker has gotten better since I first started using Avant back in the 10.0 days.
-- Matt --

Lord Chaos
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows Vista 64 Bit
Avant Version: Ver. 11.5 Build 21
IE Version: IE 7

Post by Lord Chaos » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:16 pm

I've got several bugs too with Avant, but I seem to be the only big poweruser of avant around here, so of course it only affects me.

1 is Avant 11 ver 17 and ups inability to deal with large amounts of tabs (it spins out of control and completely messes up at 1 Gb+ memory usage)

2 is the change to groups, where instead of displaying the group content to the right of the groups, they now display them ontop of the groups (when there's a large number of URLs), which makes individual groups inaccessiable when expanded groups are on (hence you can't access individidual URLs under the groups really)

Two completely usagebreaking bugs for me, but of course, again because I am seemingly the only big poweruser here, it only affects me so it doesn't have any priority :(

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:59 pm

Lord Chaos wrote:2 is the change to groups, where instead of displaying the group content to the right of the groups, they now display them ontop of the groups (when there's a large number of URLs), which makes individual groups inaccessiable when expanded groups are on (hence you can't access individidual URLs under the groups really)
Can you please create a screenshot?
Main PC:

Lord Chaos
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows Vista 64 Bit
Avant Version: Ver. 11.5 Build 21
IE Version: IE 7

Post by Lord Chaos » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:46 pm

Here I am opening the group menu:

http://www.salvation-alliance.com/avantgroups1.jpg

And here I touch the first group:

http://www.salvation-alliance.com/avantgroups2.jpg

As you can see, it covers everything, it didn't do that in 10.X version there all the links stayed nicely on the right side of the group so you can navigate, in 11.X it covers everything so you can't navigate the groups.

RakuPL
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by RakuPL » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:22 am

I hope Avant will go the same way as Maxthon 2.0 and from release to release will improve itself in a more noticable way, because for me now there are too many builds with too few fixes or improvements.

Correct me guys (and girls) if I'm wrong ;)

Drago
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Drago » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:33 am

Well... the only bug I would like to be resolved is the DEP thingy... But I don't even know if that's possible for such a "minor" upgrade to v11.6.

Finally with v12.0 it should be possible to run AvantBrowser with DEP turned fully on, because I simply do not believe, that a web browser needs code in it, which can't be executed because of some data equal to "security threads" or "viruses".
GreetZ Drago

MICROPROSE, I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU!