Avant Letdown

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

triela
Avant Version:

Avant Letdown

Post by triela » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:28 pm

This is my first, and most likely only, post. I've been a long-time Avant user (at least 4 years), and with the most recent update (11.5 b8, Windows XP), I've encounted almost innumerable freezes, crashes, unknown errors, glitches and other problems that have rendered Avant practically un-usable.

In the years from then to now, I've highly recommended Avant to many people for advantages in speed, memory footprint and stability as compared to IE, as well as advantages in functionality and useability as compared to Opera.

I would rate myself an "advanced" PC user, with good familiarity as far as extended browser software configurations and options are concerned, for example, including issues with incompatibilities, site certificates, cookie/plugin/cache management, etc.

The sudden and sheer quantity of glitches that I've encountered with Avant 11.5 b8 is unexpected, overwhelming and severely disappointing, and this forum seemed to be as appropriate as any to vent my frustration. I'm no "fanboy" type that is willing to endure dozens of bug reports, attempted resolutions and/or workarounds just to get software simply -not to crash-.

Feel free to flame my post or delete it altogether, I'm just glad to have had this chance to complain, even if it is into the anonymous ether of the internet.

blitzmaster
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x86
Avant Version: 11.7 build 26
IE Version: IE 8

Post by blitzmaster » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:06 pm

try build 11.
By Any Means Necessary!

Valmar
Avant Version:

Post by Valmar » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:50 pm

I am not very happy with the most recent version as well.
Still right click context menu doesnt work in Vista x64 (mouse gestures work) and I dont like the new layout in that way that you cant have the close, minimize, maximize button in the top right corner like in the last version. There isnt even a button to get a windowed view so you can have several windows on screen next to each other.

Is there any site where I can get the old version? I accidently deleted the setup.exe ;(

PatG
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: Avant Letdown

Post by PatG » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:18 pm

Sure thing! Go here and DL any of the old versions:

http://avant.it-mate.co.uk/default.asp?c=Download
AB 11.0 build 46 (to stay for a while) on XP Pro SP2

Lord Chaos
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows Vista 64 Bit
Avant Version: Ver. 11.5 Build 21
IE Version: IE 7

Post by Lord Chaos » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:40 pm

I don't know why you're getting all the glitches you are, I am having no issues with my avant at all.

Are you running Vista?

Semparr
Avant Version:

Re: Avant Letdown

Post by Semparr » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:48 pm

Thank you PatG. I was looking for some place where I could get the older versions. I like this build much more than the new one. I was having a bit of a different problem than y'all. Thank you once again.

kirbyk
Avant Version:

Post by kirbyk » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:39 am

I'm dropping Avant. It just gets buggier and slower, and it's just too frustrating. I've just started using Slim Browser, and it has everything that Avant has in terms of interface and it's WAY faster. I feel like I've gotten a huge increase in internet speed just by switching. I now see nothing that Avant has that SB doesn't and SB doesn't have the huge negatives that Avant has developed. Plus SB actually runs Java properly, without having to rename the executable to iexplore.exe (which causes other issues).

After a few years of being a huge Avant fan, the time has come to move on to a far superior browser.

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Post by josephrot » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:08 am

kirbyk wrote:I'm dropping Avant. It just gets buggier and slower, and it's just too frustrating. I've just started using Slim Browser, and it has everything that Avant has in terms of interface and it's WAY faster.
Like all browsers, each has good and bad points. Slim Browser (as of 4.10) shows good promise, and even Avant can "learn" from a few of its features or how they are laid out.

But even Slim Browser has its poor moments.

For example, the "My Search" tool-bar / line entry can't seem to be removed. Slim Browser's Help says that My Search is apparently thought of as an IE Tool-bar, but so far, there's no place to turn OFF just My Search. Slim Browser's "Show / Hide IE Tool-bars", does not seem to work at all -- presuming that My Search is indeed an IE Tool-bar -- and that's not what's needed.

Also, it's mentioned in their Help, but Slim Browser can't yet seem to work with ieSpell, although it does have a spelling plug-in that may work as well as ieSpell. In comparison, ieSpell works splendidly with Avant 11.5.

At first test....Slim Browser seems to be overall "faster" than Avant 11.5, but there are a lot of rough spots in it as well.
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features