What Version Of IE Works Best With Avant?

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

RolandIII
Avant Version:

What Version Of IE Works Best With Avant?

Post by RolandIII » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:53 am

Hello,

With the release of this new version of Avant 11.5 Build 7 I was curious as to which version of IE works best with Avant, IE6 or IE7. Currently I have IE6 but is the rendering speed faster in IE7?
Last edited by RolandIII on Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Re: What Version Of IE Works Best With Avant

Post by Sara » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:48 am

I prefer IE6--after trying IE7 buggy betas I have no desire to try the release.

Sara :?

robc
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate SP1
Avant Version: 11.6 Build 20
IE Version: 7

Re: What Version Of IE Works Best With Avant?

Post by robc » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:02 am

I've been using IE7 since one of the last betas without any single problem... as usual, your mileage may vary, but unless you experience serious problems, IE7 should be the way to go.
Image formerly known as Image

RolandIII
Avant Version:

Post by RolandIII » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:36 am

Yeah I guess it does depend on one's taste. I went on a head and downloaded IE7 and so far I like it better with Avant. But we'll see how things progess. :)

robc
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate SP1
Avant Version: 11.6 Build 20
IE Version: 7

Re: What Version Of IE Works Best With Avant?

Post by robc » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:56 am

Not exactly taste: as usual with software, more recent versions fix bugs and problems of the previous... it's true that often new ones arise, but after some time old versions are not supported anymore, etc., so sooner or later you need to move on anyway, whether you like it or not ;-)
Image formerly known as Image

PVTele
Avant Version:

Post by PVTele » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:38 pm

If only for security reasons, I'd tend to go with IE7 unless I had really problems running Avant. Shouldn't affect it really, as it's the rendering engine (Trident) that's being used by Avant, not any part of the GUI. Even the context menu is different (and customisable) in AB 11.5.

Tekk
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: IE 8

Post by Tekk » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:59 pm

PVTele wrote:If only for security reasons, I'd tend to go with IE7 unless I had really problems running Avant. Shouldn't affect it really, as it's the rendering engine (Trident) that's being used by Avant, not any part of the GUI. Even the context menu is different (and customisable) in AB 11.5.

:o
I am curious about your reference to Trident. Was Trident an early beta name for Internet Explorer, or an earlier browser which Internet Explorer was built upon? I have read at least a couple of stories about the origins or competitive history of Internet Explorer and Netscape, but I don't remember all of the details, or how long ago I read the articles, which were short summaries. I imagine as time passes, some accounts of the early days of Microsoft and it's competitors may have a little bit of legendary fiction infused with mosty truth. I enjoyed reading about them, whenever it was.

Usually whenever one of my applications has an update or upgrade download to install, I install it as soon as I possibly can. I am mostly curious to see what they've come up with next, or just don't want to get behind in security fixes. It was just coincidence I think that when IE7 came out, I was slow to upgrade to it, because I kept reading in Avant Forums, and elsewhere, people were having all sorts of bugs and performance issues after installing it.

Normally I would have upgraded from IE6 before I even had a chance to hear about the problems, but something stopped me this time. I think right when I saw the release of IE7, I was having some sort of major problem with an application I was using at the time, and didn't trust updating because I was still experiencing an update to an application which rendered my computer extremely unstable, with many freezes and crashes. One more buggy application, like people were originally posting about in Avant Forum, with IE7 and then Avant Browser's 11.0.build46 working together, would have been the last straw for my mental stability probably.

I have had no problems with Avant Browser related to IE6 YET, but I don't want to fix anything that "ain't broke" right now.

At least until I see that I really should imminently do so, I will continue to use IE6 for the time being. IE7 will still be there for me to download and install at that time, to be certain. :-k

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:19 pm

Trident is what IE, Avant, Maxthon, etc. use to take the (X)HTML, CSS, etc. and turn it into something displayable (is that a word?) on your computer.

I have IE7 installed because it is better than IE6 standards, security, and performance wise but I don't use it unless I have too.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6