Has AVANT Lied To Us?

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

RolandIII
Avant Version:

Has AVANT Lied To Us?

Post by RolandIII » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:08 am

Avant boast on it's home page that it is the fastest browser on earth. However as some of you are aware Steve Jobs has announced that Safari is now available for Windows. In the following video he claims that no other browser is faster. Somebody is a liar and needs to be shot for it. So tell me who catches the bullet?

http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,531-pag ... video.html#

blitzmaster
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x86
Avant Version: 11.7 build 26
IE Version: IE 8

Post by blitzmaster » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:52 am

its only a beta! dont know really if the change of OS will affect safaris performance!

its part of the marketing strategy to claim that they are the best! everybody does! of course you wouldnt claim that your product is second place only! :D

ff, opera claims to be the fastest too!
By Any Means Necessary!

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Re: Has AVANT Lied To Us?

Post by josephrot » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:44 pm

RolandIII wrote:Avant boast on it's home page that it is the fastest browser on earth. However as some of you are aware Steve Jobs has announced that Safari is now available for Windows. In the following video he claims that no other browser is faster. Somebody is a liar and needs to be shot for it. So tell me who catches the bullet?

http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,531-pag ... video.html#
Read others reviews to see why it seems "faster".
Faster or slower is relative.

Also, Apple knows better than to make such a wild, BS claim like that. They really have no idea what's out in the Win market to begin with -- only what their PR people suggest they say.

However, if you were Safari Win browser, and you had perhaps 1/4th the overall features and options present in, say, Avant 11.5, you might be a bit faster too(!)
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:54 pm

josephrot wrote:They really have no idea what's out in the Win market to begin with
Huh? You don't think Apple has any idea what browsers are available on Windows? This statement seems a little less ludicrous without the "really" and "no." :roll:

RolandIII
Avant Version:

Post by RolandIII » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:43 pm

I hear what everyone is talking about but I have used both browsers and they both seem to be very fast. I'm not sure who has the fastest browser on Windows. However if you take a look at Safari on a new model Mac with sufficient RAM and a highspeed connection, it is very impressive. On Windows XP, that's another story although the beta version that I am using is very promising. It will be very interesting to see what the final product feels and looks like.

The above video is short but if you go to http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/d7625zs/event/ you can watch the full presentation of Steve Jobs concerning his claims that Safari is the best browser and the fastest. Neither Firefox or IE claim to be the fastest. They claim to be fast but not the fastest. Opera does but on my PC I've found Firefox to Be faster. But out of the box with no configurations I have found Avant to be the fastest maybe tied by Safari beta for Windows but I'm not sure. Sooo...it looks like the browser wars are about to heat back up! :)

Circumlocutus
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by Circumlocutus » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:45 am

No-one is lying, Avant Browser's claim on the homepage was made long, long before Monday.

I'm sure that the author has much more on his hands to bother changing the website just because Apple has released an unfinished product on the PC world.
WARNING

This post contains one or more words known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash your eyes after reading.

PVTele
Avant Version:

Post by PVTele » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:00 pm

I tried the Win Safari beta, and it seemed buggy and unpleasant, and not especially fast. Uninstalled it and felt much better :wink:

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:40 am

hornakapopolis wrote:
josephrot wrote:They really have no idea what's out in the Win market to begin with
Huh? You don't think Apple has any idea what browsers are available on Windows? This statement seems a little less ludicrous without the "really" and "no." :roll:
I might not touch the above quote with a 2um EEPROM.... :shock:

But seriously, it's the "business" that I an others are in, is to be or stay in touch with different O/S "insiders"... be that my good or bad fortune(!)

And even the Mac crowd overall has stated that if Apple / Mac / Third Party providers had "really" understood browsers, Windows and what browser users supposedly really want... then Safari Win would have come out far better, more usable features than it did or will when this Beta finally ships.

I tend to agree with these Apple-related insiders myself, but am open to all sides.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:38 am

...and what you're saying here isn't what you said there.

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:18 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:...and what you're saying here isn't what you said there.
Be careful.... I am already confused with my earlier comments here.... :wink:

I do humbly suggest that Apple's Safari Win is in reality a version 1.0 level browser that, if it ships that way, will be 1.0 in a word of third and fourth generation Win browsers.

Hence, it may be improper to expect a 1.0 browser entry to all of a sudden have 3.0 / 4.0 level features and options.

I have a hunch that when Safari Win does get to the 3.0 or 4.0 level, its overall speed will not be "fastest" any longer.

Just a thought.
Last edited by josephrot on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ftboomer
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version: Latest
IE Version: IE8 x64

Post by ftboomer » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:44 pm

You want fast, use Orca with the latest patch, now that's fast.
Give me a dirty martini and a great cigar, cause nothing beats a nice tight white ash!