Page 1 of 2

I've been unfaithful with Firefox

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:41 pm
by Moby
Hi folks.
Long time not here. I thought I'd give Firefox a go, and just to make sure I gave it a fair chance to show it's credentials, I used it for quite a few months.
But now I'm back with Avant. I cannot believe how much faster, user friendly and more stable it is than the Moxilla offering.
I have to say, Firefox does have some good addons, Noscript and Torrent-Search Toolbar spring to mind, but the overall browsing experience is slow, clunky and very lacking in pleasure, including constant crashes......it explains why it has built in crash recovery :wink:
It seems that Avant really still does rule.
BTW, I'm on IE7 and it seems to rock fine with Avant.

I really had forgotten what a great browser this is :)

Re: I've been unfaithful with Firefox

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:30 pm
by ReleaseRoderick
Hello, did you make any new friends over there?
I`m assuming there is a Forum?

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:57 pm
by MysteryFCM
Moby,
Good to see you again dude ;)

Re: I've been unfaithful with Firefox

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:09 am
by Moby
Hi Steve. Good to be back with a decent browser.

Roderick, there are a number of Firefox/Moxilla related forums but I found the whole community to be somewhat fragmented and complex. The fact that there are so many diverse addons written by so many different people probably contributes to that. I basically found it easier to learn myself through trial and error. So no long term meaningful relationships :wink:

Re: I've been unfaithful with Firefox

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:24 pm
by josephrot
moby wrote:Hi folks.
Long time not here. I thought I'd give Firefox a go, and just to make sure I gave it a fair chance to show it's credentials, I used it for quite a few months.
But now I'm back with Avant. I cannot believe how much faster, user friendly and more stable it is than the Moxilla offering.
I have to say, Firefox does have some good addons, Noscript and Torrent-Search Toolbar spring to mind,>> SNIP
As far as Mozilla-based browsers go, Firefox 2 is better than Firefox 1.x ever could be, but it still isn't as "arrived" as is Avant.

Firefox is the best [Mozilla] alternative to Avant, but note the word alternative... not replacement.

It may get there someday, but now they want us to wait until Firefox 3.

I agree that Opera is worthy in the IE vein of browsers, but pitifully few others seem worthy of consideration, whether or not they have tabbed browser designs.

Avant is still be best overall, IMHO.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:29 pm
by MysteryFCM
Opera is waaaaaaaaay better than FireFox .... IMHO of course ;)

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:54 pm
by DaComboMan
MysteryFCM wrote:Opera is waaaaaaaaay better than FireFox .... IMHO of course ;)
Opera is good. Quick.
Still haven't figured out how to make it compatible with other programs that i have running at the same time (Canon scanner, WordPerfect8 to name a few).

AVANT i find almost as quick as Opera for back/forward moves.

For some reason i keep going back to Firefox.

AVANT does have a wonderful forum with it's spammers like practically everywhere nowadays though Opera's seems to be immune to this.

Haven't figured out why memory usage keeps increasing with AVANT (and Maxthon). Used to be about 30ks of VM now hangs around 70. Maxthon is doing the same. Firefox is pretty steady but still above those levels.

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:27 pm
by Moby
DaComboMan wrote: Haven't figured out why memory usage keeps increasing with AVANT (and Maxthon). Used to be about 30ks of VM now hangs around 70. Maxthon is doing the same. Firefox is pretty steady but still above those levels.
I had Firefox showing 130K on a regular basis.

One thing I do miss is the NoScript addon. Very clever, it lists all the scripts trying to run on a page and allows you to choose which ones to allow or not.
It surprised me how many there were. For example google-analytics.com which even runs on this site.

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:26 pm
by josephrot
moby wrote:
I had Firefox showing 130K on a regular basis.

One thing I do miss is the NoScript addon. Very clever, it lists all the scripts trying to run on a page and allows you to choose which ones to allow or not. It surprised me how many there were. For example google-analytics.com which even runs on this site.
This is definitely a major plus for Firefox users.

Perhaps it can be added to Anderson's list to see if such code can be added to Avant.

It's not only "informational", it's sometimes absolutlely vital to know what or who is running on what web page.

Re: I've been unfaithful with Firefox

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:23 pm
by DaComboMan
Security, if it's still an issue then this thread gives us a clue as to where we should start from: http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=206

Re: I've been unfaithful with Firefox

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:03 pm
by ABman
I started using Avant in July 2003 having tried several before that. Since then I have kept trying various other browsers for curiosity's sake.
I always end up using Avant and there would have to be a very compelling reason for me to use anything else. Long live Avant! And thanks to Anderson.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:41 am
by Moby
josephrot wrote: This is definitely a major plus for Firefox users.

Perhaps it can be added to Anderson's list to see if such code can be added to Avant.

It's not only "informational", it's sometimes absolutlely vital to know what or who is running on what web page.
I agree completely. It should definitely be added to Avant if possible.

Re: I've been unfaithful with Firefox

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:13 pm
by yann_06
My personnal opinion is Ive installed Avant Browser to all my family friend and girlfriend

But some others friend like me as a geek are using Firefox even if it takes a lot of memory but who care since it start with my XP session and never close up

The main thing missing in Avant is a community's of developer to perform some scripts or plug ins to customize the browser

Because the force of firefox are plugins (I am using 83 of them) and finally can do much more than AB , but may be it just because I am using internet all the day so I need all the functionality to speed up my way of surfing

Nevertheless AB is really strong for occasional user of internet

Just consider this is my personal opinion

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:26 pm
by blitzmaster
i think thats one of the strong point of firefox. a lot of plugins (gmail notifier, youtube donwloader, torrents, and tons of themes) to choose from plus its adblocker and pop-up blocker is stronger than Avant.

but i'm already used to the Avant surfing experience so i still prefer Avant! :lol:

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:43 pm
by DaComboMan
blitzmaster wrote:i think thats one of the strong point of firefox. a lot of plugins (gmail notifier, youtube donwloader, torrents, and tons of themes) to choose from plus its adblocker and pop-up blocker is stronger than Avant.

but i'm already used to the Avant surfing experience so i still prefer Avant! :lol:
Yup.
In the end it all depends on how the end user likes the experience of such and such a browser on his/her system.

I like Maxthon2 for the new addon section and how smoothly they install now but i find it slower to start up and not as quick for page rendering as AVANT or Firefox.

Although i like to drive other browsers to see how they fare, for some reason i always go back to Firefox.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:06 pm
by abfan123
"gmail notifier, youtube donwloader, torrents"
All that is available as IE addons as well (GMail notifier can be found on a lot of IE toolbars,There's a plugin for YouTube downloads & Torrent download can be added using an external torrent client.)
As of ads,Ad Muncher removes nearly all the ads.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:23 pm
by vtel57
Hey Moby! How've you been, mate? Missed you a lot around here this past year or so. :( Good to see you're still alive and kickin'! :)

By the way, to truly experience the benefits and positive points of Firefox, you need to run it in Linux. :) FF was always slow and clunky for me in Windows, but it Linux, it's greased lightning!

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:00 am
by blitzmaster
abfan123 wrote:"gmail notifier, youtube donwloader, torrents"
All that is available as IE addons as well (GMail notifier can be found on a lot of IE toolbars,There's a plugin for YouTube downloads & Torrent download can be added using an external torrent client.)
As of ads,Ad Muncher removes nearly all the ads.
yes. but all of the plugins of FF are found on their website for easy access. can avant do the same. putting all their add-ons/IE plugins (stable) together with the browser it self. or put an add-on/Ie plugin options on the menu so when you click it it takes you their to the add-ons and plug-ins! :D

Re: I've been unfaithful with Firefox

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:37 am
by jkdclick
I guess I can contribute to this thread. Like Moby (Hi Moby), I also switched to Firefox. I keep trying Avant but I keep going back to FF.

I agree with yann_06:
yann_06 wrote:My personnal opinion is Ive installed Avant Browser to all my family friend and girlfriend

But some others friend like me as a geek are using Firefox even if it takes a lot of memory but who care since it start with my XP session and never close up

The main thing missing in Avant is a community's of developer to perform some scripts or plug ins to customize the browser

Because the force of firefox are plugins (I am using 83 of them) and finally can do much more than AB , but may be it just because I am using internet all the day so I need all the functionality to speed up my way of surfing

Nevertheless AB is really strong for occasional user of internet

Just consider this is my personal opinion
I have 41 extentions & use every one of them.
Application: Firefox 2.0.0.3 (2007030919)
Operating System: WINNT (x86-msvc)

- Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.0.5
Synchronizes Adblock with Filterset.G
- Adblock Plus 0.7.5.1
Ads were yesterday!
- Add Bookmark Here 2 1.0.20070528
Add a menuitem "Add Bookmark Here..." to Bookmarks Menu.
- Add to Search Bar 1.5.1
Add any search on any page to the Search Bar.
- Advanced Bookmark Search 0.3
Advanced Bookmark Search
- AI Roboform Toolbar for Firefox 6.9.0
Allows the use of Roboform in Firefox.
- All-in-One Sidebar 0.7.1
Sidebar control with award-winning user experience!
- Better Gmail 0.6.1
Enhances Gmail with Greasemonkey user scripts.
- Bookmark Duplicate Detector 0.6.3
Helps you find, move and remove duplicate bookmarks. It also notices you when you are adding a bookmark already in your Bookmarks.
- Button Pack 0.8.5.5
This extension adds more buttons to the toolbar.
- Copy Link Text 1.0
Right-click a link to copy its text
- Custom Buttons 0.0.1.3
Gives a possibility to create custom toolbarbuttons.
- CustomizeGoogle 0.60
Enhance Google search results and remove ads and spam.
- Download Embedded 0.5
Downloads all embedded objects on a webpage.
- DownThemAll! 0.9.9.10
The mass downloader for Firefox.
- Email This! Bookmarklet Extension 2.0.0
Email This! will send a recipient the link, title, and text of the webpage you are viewing.
- ErrorZilla Mod 0.2
Implements a useful error page when a website cannot be reached.
- Extension List Dumper 1.8.0
Dumps a list of the installed extensions.
- External Application Buttons 0.7.2
This extension enables you to create a application launcher button on the toolbars.
- Fasterfox 2.0.0
Performance and network tweaks for Firefox.
- Google Notebook 1.0.0.16
(Disabled)
Allows notetaking while browsing
- GooglePreview 2.1.4
Inserts web site previews in Google and Yahoo search results.
- IE View 1.3.3
Open pages in IE via Firefox menus
- McAfee SiteAdvisor 26.3
A McAfee SiteAdvisor Firefox Extension for safe searching and browsing
- MeasureIt 0.3.6
Draw out a ruler to get the pixel width and height of any elements on a webpage.
- Media Pirate - The video downloader 2.3
Video downloader
- mid 0.6.72
Mozilla Internet Dictionary
- MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.3
Local Install power tools for all users. (en-US)
- Multiple Tab Handler 0.1.2007050701
Provides features to close (, reload, etc.) multiple tabs at once.
- MySpace PFF Addon 0.3
A MySpace mode for pff for myspace blogging
- Organize Status Bar 0.5.2
Organize your status bar icons.
- Paste and Go 2 0.8
Paste Text and Load/Search It Immediately
- Personal Menu 3.0.1
Replace the conservative menus, beautify your Firefox!
- Popup Blocker Settings 0.2.1
Manage popup blocker settings
- Sage 1.3.10
A lightweight RSS and Atom feed aggregator.
- ScrapBook 1.2.0.8
Helps you to save Web pages and organize the collection.
- Screen grab! 0.93
Saves a web-page as an image.
- ScribeFire 1.4.0.1
A full-featured blog editor that integrates with your browser and lets you easily post to your blog.
- SearchLoad Options 0.4.1
Tweak the searchbar's functionality.
- Skype extension for Firefox 2.2.0.70
Skype extension for Firefox
- Stop Autoplay 0.4.3
Disable the autoplay of the embedded music and movie.
- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.5.2
Tab browsing with an added boost.
- Tab Preview 0.3
Preview tab contents on mouseover
- Talkback 2.0.0.3
Sends information about program crashes to Mozilla.
- Text Link 1.3.2006100702
Allows URI texts written in webpages to be loaded by double clicks.
- Toolbar Buttons 0.3.0.6
Adds toolbar buttons.
- Uppity 1.4.14
Navigate up one level (directory).
- URL Link 2.01.0
Allow navigation to broken/unlinked URLs
- Woot Watcher 0.5
:shock: Thats a lot.

Avant is fast & it's based off IE (displays pages better), but for me, FF has more functionality.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:26 pm
by Moby
vtel57 wrote:Hey Moby! How've you been, mate? Missed you a lot around here this past year or so. :( Good to see you're still alive and kickin'! :)
Aw shucks Eric, I didn't know you cared :lol: Nice to hear from you mate. And hi jkd
Never used Linux, might give it a go sometimes. At the moment I've decided to use both Avant and FF. I hadn't realised how I'd got so used to some of the FF addons so I'm switching between the two depending what I'm doing.
I still much prefer the Avant experience though.

But I do have a question for the help section..off there now.