Close to giving up

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

improwise
Avant Version:

Close to giving up

Post by improwise » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:51 am

There are so many problems with Avant (at least in Vista) right now so I am very close to giving up on it:

- Why is the avant.exe process still running even though I have exited the program? No, it's not in the tray, minimized or anything.

- Why can Avant save it's settings? Every time I try to change settings under "avant browser option" it always reverts back to what it was before. Only way to make it stick is to make the changes and then kill the avant.exe process it seems.

- Why dont Avant show up in the "default programs" when every other browser I have (including FF, IE, Opera) does?

- Why is Avant trying to cause a meltdown in my CPU?

/pJ

Since this isn't asking for specific support and since it doesn't follow #4 of our rules, I've moved this from Bug Reports to Discussion. - hornakapopolis

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:28 pm

Hello,
Have you tried to right-click the Avant.exe icon & select "Run as Administrator"?
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

KY Dave
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP Home, Pro, Vista, Win 7
Avant Version: 11.7 build 46SR
IE Version: 8.0.7600.3865

Post by KY Dave » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:49 pm

abfan123 wrote:Hello,
Have you tried to right-click the Avant.exe icon & select "Run as Administrator"?
Isn't that really bad advice?

The main point of Vista is security and doing the above mentioned suggestion would defeat quite a bit of the security features built in to Vista.
KY Dave

Family Blog

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:04 pm

More like a workaround.
I'm quite sure that the next Avant's release will be more "Vista-Compatible".
Main PC:

improwise
Avant Version:

Post by improwise » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:08 pm

abfan123 wrote:Hello,
Nope, and I wouldn't dream of doing it either, and I wouldn't recommend anyone elso to either. Remember, this is a web browser we are talking about, which downloads stuff from the Internet. Having it running as Administrator is really to ask for trouble!

/pJ

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:29 pm

abfan123 wrote:More like a workaround.
Besides being a dangerous, and very silly work-around, it only addresses 2 of the issues the OP raised.

Avant not exiting has nothing to do with it not running as Administrator, nor has the CPU (which we all know has been reported on non-Vista systems aswell).

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Post by josephrot » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:58 am

Realize also, that although Avant has a bit of internal work remaining to be done, work that IS needed to solve the Vista and general memory problems, but remain working better with XP....

That there's an increasing lot of users, techs and even software engineers that are realizing and warning that MS Vista and IE7 are poorly done disasters in the making.

Vista's multiple version confusions and being vastly over-priced is one thing, but the volume of unneeded problems Vista and IE7 are causing is legendary, and it will be getting worse. What we are seeing now is but the tip of an iceberg.

It may well turn out that Vista and IE7 were really not needed, and that XP should have really had a Service Pack 3 (SP3) invoked, instead of XP being replaced.

Remember Windows ME ?. See Vista and IE7 for what they truly are.
Last edited by josephrot on Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:40 am

Tried to run Avant on Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit (Not as administrator) & couldn't confirm the "avant.exe process still running" & CPU-usage issues.
Main PC:

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Post by josephrot » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:59 am

abfan123 wrote:Tried to run Avant on Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit (Not as administrator) & couldn't confirm the "avant.exe process still running" & CPU-usage issues.
Unfortunately this isn't the proper topic for this discussion, but a show of hands for wanting me to put people in contact with MS's x86 and 64bit programmers -- one or two outside of MS by now -- who will describe how Win 64 / XP64 is even more "not done yet" than XP 32 or Vista are done.

Many problems inherent in XP64, and some even carried over to Vista 64 as well.

Bottom line is that not all the XP 32 and 64, and Vista 32 and 64, Avant-related problems have a lot to do with Avant at all. But yes, it appears that our kind and over-worked Avant Anderson can and is making improvements...as Avant should be able to overcome these problems.

Yes, I realize that the above is easy to state, harder to provide proof...but proof, like the truth, is out there.
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

Moby
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Moby » Fri May 18, 2007 4:35 pm

MysteryFCM wrote:Besides being a dangerous, and very silly work-around, it only addresses 2 of the issues the OP raised.
I haven't even seen Vista yet but it occurs to me that in XP most people are probably running Avant as an administrator so surely doing the same in Vista is no worse.
Stealer of Souls

cdysthe
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate
Avant Version: 11.6 Build 04
IE Version: 7

Re: Close to giving up

Post by cdysthe » Fri May 25, 2007 2:39 am

I ran Vista for a couple of days. Security my a**. The most secure aspect of it is that it won't run for very long at a time, and that a lot of programs won't work at all, so they can't cause harm.

I remember when XP came along how people swore they would never leave Win2K. They did. We'll see if Vista matures and turns usable, by that time I'm sure Avant will work on it. In the meantime I'm happily running Avant on XP although the new Maxthon 2 looks promising and very similar to Avant.
//C

Windows Vista Ultimate | Avira Premium Security Suite | Avant Browser | OpenDNS

adli89
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Build 7

Post by adli89 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:10 pm

Eh? In my Vista, the first problem didn't show up. When I close it, then it is closed :S
I'm using Microsoft Vista Home Premium that comes together with the laptop - Toshiba.