Can't access bookmarks, bookmarks buttons don't work

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

10gb
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version: Ultimate 2016 build 10
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: N/A
Skin: Opal Glass

Can't access bookmarks, bookmarks buttons don't work

Post by 10gb » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:52 pm

As the description says, bookmarks suddenly stopped working. "New Bookmark" "Add all tabs to bookmarks" and "Organize bookmarks" do nothing + I can't even see my bookmarks in the browser.

Same goes for accessing bookmarks through View - Bookmarks.

I had the last version, tried to reinstall, restart pc, run as administrator, didn't solve my problem.

Files in \Avant Profiles\.default\bookmarks still exist.
Attachments
Avant_ult2016_build10.jpg

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Re: Can't access bookmarks, bookmarks buttons don't work

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:21 pm

It sounds like your bookmarks file got corrupted and is still corrupted causing it to be locked in some way preventing changes to it from being made.

If you have a back up (either personal or from Avant's Tools -> Backup / Restore Profiles), I'd re-install from that. Otherwise, you're probably going to have to delete it.

The path can be found in Options-> Profile. From there, it's in Avant Profiles\.default (or your email address for online storage profiles) \bookmarks\bookmarks.dat. And personally, I'd just rename it first in case something can be done to fix it.

In that same folder, you could try renaming the bookmarks.dat.bak file. I thought that that was supposed to be a backup, but using it has never worked for me, so maybe I mis-remembered what it's for.

Finally, if you're using an online profile, you might wait to see if xiaobing can restore a backup or something from the online storage server... but if my understanding of how online storage works is correct, the corrupted bookmarks file has probably long been synced to the online storage server already.

10gb
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version: Ultimate 2016 build 10
IE Version: N/A
Skin: Opal Glass

Post by 10gb » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:14 pm

So I did leave it for 2 days and now bookmarks seem to be back working without having to do anything with it. Bookmarks in subfolders are present, but those in "root" are gone. While I do have a backup with those missing bookmarks, the rest in subfolders is more recent in the current file.

Is there any way how to extract some of the bookmarks or merge these lists together?

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it!

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:14 am

I didn't go through the entire process to see if Avant overwrites with its backup file or creates a new folder containing the back up, but it does something similar to the latter when importing items from another account.

Before you try it, though, you could just export your current bookmarks to an HTML file, restore the backup and then import the HTML file