Avant Stopped Saving Web Pages

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

ulTRAX
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Avant Stopped Saving Web Pages

Post by ulTRAX » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:22 am

I've been using Firefox in the current version of Avant tri-engine...

Over the past few days it no longer saves webpages as html. I can save a page as an image and text. When I try to save a page it will tell me if there's an older version I want to overwrite... I click yes, and nothing happens.

I thought it might be the firewall, so I shut it down... nothing. Then I updated to a new version. My standalone version of Firefox saves files just fine.

Shutting down my antivirus does nothing.

I downloaded the latest version and installed over the old newest version... nothing.

I can find no settings that would explain this.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Running Win 8.1 64.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: Avant Stopped Saving Web Pages

Post by xiaobing » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:30 am

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming,find and then rename Avant profiles, after that restart Avant and see whether it works.

ulTRAX
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by ulTRAX » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:41 am

Thanks for the speedy reply. It didn't work... and I can't afford to lose all the info there. It's has my bookmarks, URL aliases etc going back a decade.

Any other suggestions?

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:45 am

Your bookmarks/url aliases are still in your old Avant profiles folder. If the problem disappears, you can copy them back. Just use the old files reolace the brand new ones.

ulTRAX
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by ulTRAX » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:12 pm

Before I do anything... the folder in question to save is

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Avant Profiles\profile.backup\

But there may be another problem I need to ask about. When I look inside I find only TWO backups

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Avant Profiles\profile.backup\.default\2015-08-17\1439807012 and another one from Sept 2.

I just tried to do another backup and while it shows up in the backup utility when I run the cursor over it...

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Avant Profiles\profile.backup\.default\2016-02-25\xxxxxxxx

when I go to the actual folder C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Avant Profiles\profile.backup\.default\

there is NO such folder. In fact NONE of the backups I have in the Backup/Restore window are in the folder... and those old ones in the folder from last August don't show up in the window.

Looking through all the files in the profile folder I find nothing after Sept 2.... and yet all the URL aliases are new.

I got the PC on 8-15 and it was a new install of Avant... but I must have transferred the settings over from the old PC to keep all my bookmarks. The old PC was Vista 32, this one is 8.1 64bit. Maybe something in this transfer caused the problem. Can this be related to the problem of saving web pages? But to be fair, the webpage problem just started a few days ago.

ulTRAX
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by ulTRAX » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:46 pm

Just a quick update... this problem has resolved itself. Don't ask me why. It's not that I have Avant set for any automatic hot fixes or updates.