Build 110 - macro key program doesn't work

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

darwin-t
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version: Ultimate version, Build 110
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 8.0.6001.18702
Skin: Default

Build 110 - macro key program doesn't work

Post by darwin-t » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:44 pm

I use Auto Hotkey to fill in commonly used fields like my name, address, email address, etc.

When I use it with Avant, the first several characters are missing, making it pretty much useless.

The first time I do it, 5 characters are missing. If I try again immediately, 11 characters are missing. The number of missing characters varies after this.

Is there a setting I can set in Avant that I can change to fix it, or is this a bug in the keyboard buffer or something like that?

Thanks

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: Build 110 - macro key program doesn't work

Post by mbrazil » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Have you tried it on the same page loaded with the other engines?

I also use AutoHotkey (for the same purpose, as well as others), and I've seen the same behavior in Avant (I use the Firefox engine for almost everything), but it's much worse on some sites than others. For the most part, the characters sent by AutoHotkey don't appear as quickly in Avant as they do in other programs, but it usually does work. I've only seen it where some of the characters do not appear at all on certain web pages.

I've got a hunch that this has something to do with the characters having to be sent by the engine to the web server and then echoed back before they appear onscreen. This would explain why the characters appear more slowly than they do in other, non-internet applications, and the timing issues involved would also be likely to be the cause of the lost characters. Server load, current internet latency (ping time), the way the page is coded, and security functions on the server could all have something to do with this.

There could also be something in Avant's coding that adds to the delays, which would explain it if it happens more in Avant than in other browsers, but since I don't often use other browsers, I don't know if that's the case.

darwin-t
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version: Ultimate version, Build 110
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 8.0.6001.18702
Skin: Default

Post by darwin-t » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:45 pm

With the Chrome engine, it chops off several characters, as I mentioned above. With the Firefox or IE8 engine, it doesn't work at all. With the IE compatible engine, it only chops off the first character

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Do you experience the problem on the same websites in the Chrome browser outside of Avant? What about in the Firefox and IE browsers? If you don't have the problem in the Chrome browser, Avant is apparently either causing or contributing to the problem (if so, I'll move this thread to Bug Reports). If you do see the same symptoms in Chrome, that would indicate that something else on your computer or something related to your internet connection is the source.

Since I'm experiencing similar symptoms (on both build 23 and build 110), but they're much less severe, I'd like to know more about your computer and your internet connection:

How old is your computer, which processor does it have, and how much RAM does it have? What other programs do you have running at the same time with Avant (including any that start with Windows and any Chrome add-ons)? Which version of Windows are you using (your profile just says Windows)?

Which company do you get internet access from, and what speed (bandwidth) is your internet connection supposed to provide?

The next time I notice slow response to AutoHotkey macros or missing characters, I'll try it in the other browsers too. The reason I don't just try it now is that, for me, the severity of it varies a lot from one site to another, and I haven't kept a record of which sites it happens on.