Changing from using Opera to using Avant

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

White Phoenix
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Avant Version: Ultimate 2013 b113
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 8
Skin: default

Changing from using Opera to using Avant

Post by White Phoenix » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:47 pm

OK. I have just installed Avant in order to use it instead of Opera.

I have changed the default search engine which you can no longer do on Opera 12, now I need help with other settings. If anyone can point me to previous posts that would cover this that would be fine.

Since I was using Opera’s mail client, I am not sure what would be the best course. I suppose I could always go back to using Thunderbird, if there isn’t a better option. I am using IMAP.

Is there a way to turn OFF the tool tips from the tabs? So far the option is something the other browsers refuse to do.

I imported my bookmarks from Opera, but they are under Opera. I would prefer that they be under Bookmarks. (To me there is no bookmark that should specifically be for one browser or another.) In any event, is there a way to transfer other Opera settings like the Speed Dial, contact list and passwords?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: Changing from using Opera to using Avant

Post by mbrazil » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:36 am

I've never used Opera, but I can answer some of your questions:

If Opera's mail client is a standalone application, you can continue using it. Go to Tools > Avant Browser Options > Email Client, click the Other Program radio button, and type in the path to the Opera email client (or click Browse), and click OK. If Opera's email client cannot be run as a separate program, you'll either have to use Thunderbird or some other email client and do the same thing to inform Avant about it, or if you decide to use webmail, you can point Avant to the webmail URL in the same place.

There is no way to turn off the tooltips for the tab buttons.

For the imported bookmarks, go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks, click the Opera folder in the list on the left side, select all of the bookmarks in the pane on the right, and drag them onto the Bookmarks folder at the top of the list on the left side. All of your imported bookmarks will then be under Bookmarks. If you want, you can then reorganize them by dragging them to different positions and/or by creating additional folders to separate them into. You can organize bookmarks either in the Organize Bookmarks window or in the Sidebar. You can also drag bookmarks and folders to new positions in the Bookmarks menu, but you cannot create new folders from within the menu.

As far as I know, there is no a way to transfer other Opera settings like the Speed Dial, contact list, and passwords to Avant.

White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:28 am

Thanks, Mike. At least now I know I will need to transfer everything else manually.

Avant doesn’t give an option to turn the tool tips off either, eh? Is this some sort of browser fetish? Oh well, at least the tabs are over the address bar and out of the way so the tips aren’t so much of a nuisance.

What’s webmail? Accessing the mailbox directly?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:24 am

White Phoenix wrote:Thanks, Mike. At least now I know I will need to transfer everything else manually.

Avant doesn’t give an option to turn the tool tips off either, eh? Is this some sort of browser fetish? Oh well, at least the tabs are over the address bar and out of the way so the tips aren’t so much of a nuisance.

What’s webmail? Accessing the mailbox directly?
Here's Wikipedia's definition: Webmail (or web-based email) is any email client implemented as a web application accessed via a web browser. Examples of webmail providers include Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, outlook.com and AOL Mail. Practically every webmail provider offers email access using a webmail client, and many of them also offer email access by a desktop email client using standard email protocols, while many internet service providers provide a webmail client as part of the email service included in their internet service package.

I just found this:

Earlier an integral part of Opera web browser, Opera Mail is now available as a standalone desktop email client. It’s lightweight, easy to use and has almost all the key features of Gmail and Outlook. Mails can be intuitively sorted with the help of labels. It supports both IMAP and POP access. Best of all, it comes with a built-in RSS feed reader with which you can get all the updates of all your favorite websites.

http://www.opera.com/mail/

White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:16 am

And I will just about bet that transferring the settings from the built-in Opera mail client to the stand-alone will be very easy. 8-)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:55 am

One never knows. :lol: I'd guess it's worth checking into.

White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:44 am

Thanks for finding Opera Mail for me. It works exactly like the built-in version. Importing everything was even easier than I had hoped. One click and it was a done deal. The only thing left is the add ons and the passwords, which keeping Opera wouldn’t help. So, it’s gone.

Climhazard
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Lite x64
Avant Version: 2012 Build 197
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: N/A
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by Climhazard » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:52 pm

mbrazil wrote:
I just found this:

Earlier an integral part of Opera web browser, Opera Mail is now available as a standalone desktop email client. It’s lightweight, easy to use and has almost all the key features of Gmail and Outlook. Mails can be intuitively sorted with the help of labels. It supports both IMAP and POP access. Best of all, it comes with a built-in RSS feed reader with which you can get all the updates of all your favorite websites.

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Good find!

I was looking for this some time ago, thanks.