side bar

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Post Reply
mathman
Avantic
Avantic
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:03 am
Windows Version: 10 (64 bit)
Avant Version: 2016 utimate latest
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE11
Skin: Crystal (may vary)

side bar

Post by mathman » Fri May 03, 2013 8:19 pm

Up to now the side bar has been on the left side of the screen. It is now on the right side. Is there a way to move it to the left side (my preference)?

User avatar
Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 am
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A
Location: TEXAS

Re: side bar

Post by Tinman57 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:52 am

mathman wrote:Up to now the side bar has been on the left side of the screen. It is now on the right side. Is there a way to move it to the left side (my preference)?
No, and I hate that too. It's all part of the new skins. They say that having the side bar on the left caused severe flickering problems or something like that, though I've never had a problem with it. The only way around this right now is to go back to the last version.... :x
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:04 pm
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP
Location: Grass Valley, CA

Re: side bar

Post by mbrazil » Sat May 04, 2013 2:01 am


User avatar
xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 4380
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:52 am
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: side bar

Post by xiaobing » Sat May 04, 2013 2:12 am

Tinman57 wrote:They say that having the side bar on the left caused severe flickering problems or something like that, though I've never had a problem with it. The only way around this right now is to go back to the last version.... :x
Yes, the problem happened when developing the new version.
I'll ask if anderson has a solution for this.

User avatar
xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 4380
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:52 am
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: side bar

Post by xiaobing » Sat May 04, 2013 2:34 am

xiaobing wrote:
Tinman57 wrote:They say that having the side bar on the left caused severe flickering problems or something like that, though I've never had a problem with it. The only way around this right now is to go back to the last version.... :x
Yes, the problem happened when developing the new version.
I'll ask if anderson has a solution for this.
It's very hard to fix the flickering problems.

User avatar
Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 am
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A
Location: TEXAS

Re: side bar

Post by Tinman57 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:28 pm

xiaobing wrote:
xiaobing wrote:
Tinman57 wrote:They say that having the side bar on the left caused severe flickering problems or something like that, though I've never had a problem with it. The only way around this right now is to go back to the last version.... :x
Yes, the problem happened when developing the new version.
I'll ask if anderson has a solution for this.
It's very hard to fix the flickering problems.
The only flickering problem I've ever had, and still continue to have, is if I mouse over any icon in the status bar at the mid point or below. If I mouse over the top half of the icons it don't flash on and off, just displays the help text.... It's a bit of a pain sometimes, but useable.
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:04 pm
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP
Location: Grass Valley, CA

Re: side bar

Post by mbrazil » Sun May 05, 2013 12:24 am

I think the flickering xiaobing is referring to occurred during an early build of Avant 2013 that we never got to try out, and apparently the entire content pane was flashing. The only thing I've ever seen flicker in Avant is the tooltips for the items in the Sidebar when the cursor is over the very last pixel on the right in the Sidebar, which is a very minor problem that should probably be ignored until every other bug is squashed (as if that will ever happen).

ben onbekend
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:35 pm
Windows Version: 7
Avant Version: 2013 build 107
Default engine: IE10
IE Version: IE10
Skin: aero glass

Re: side bar

Post by ben onbekend » Tue May 07, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm normally never have any compliant about Avant, but this problem that the favorites must be on the right side is a reason to stop with avant, I want to have it on the LEFT side.

User avatar
Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Posts: 834
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 am
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A
Location: TEXAS

Re: side bar

Post by Tinman57 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:46 am

ben onbekend wrote:I'm normally never have any compliant about Avant, but this problem that the favorites must be on the right side is a reason to stop with avant, I want to have it on the LEFT side.
Well join the Conga line, most all of us are unhappy with that as well.... :(
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

schar07
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:06 pm
Windows Version: W7 Ent x64 SP1
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014 build 7
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers on Glass

Re: side bar

Post by schar07 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:12 pm

My concern is the fact that i don't see an easy way to search bookmarks with the new Stickers/Opal skins: previously the status bar was visible and i clicked on 'open side bar' to get access to that, but right now with these skins the status bar cannot be shown afaik and as such i have to dig menues to show side bar and then search bookmarks..

Does anyone have a solution with new skins please?

Thanks!

mathman
Avantic
Avantic
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:03 am
Windows Version: 10 (64 bit)
Avant Version: 2016 utimate latest
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE11
Skin: Crystal (may vary)

Re: side bar

Post by mathman » Thu May 09, 2013 12:54 am

schar07 wrote:My concern is the fact that i don't see an easy way to search bookmarks with the new Stickers/Opal skins: previously the status bar was visible and i clicked on 'open side bar' to get access to that, but right now with these skins the status bar cannot be shown afaik and as such i have to dig menues to show side bar and then search bookmarks..

Does anyone have a solution with new skins please?

Thanks!
Use any of the skins below the dotted line (tools -> skins). This gives you old skin.

schar07
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:06 pm
Windows Version: W7 Ent x64 SP1
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014 build 7
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers on Glass

Re: side bar

Post by schar07 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:14 pm

Thx mathman yes that is the culprit, i have to use old skins only.

Can we add a shortcut to search bookmarks? Or to open sidebar? Or add ability to search bookmarks too in the URL bar besides searching Google? For people using new skins.

User avatar
xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 4380
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:52 am
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: side bar

Post by xiaobing » Fri May 10, 2013 3:16 am

1.png
1.png (5.98 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
This button was used to open sidebar, but now it opens drop down list.
I have requested to let it open sidebar.

schar07
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:06 pm
Windows Version: W7 Ent x64 SP1
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014 build 7
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers on Glass

Re: side bar

Post by schar07 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 am

xiaobing wrote:
1.png
This button was used to open sidebar, but now it opens drop down list.
I have requested to let it open sidebar.
Thx xiaobing, it would be great to add an entry to that drop down button

mikkel
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 1:25 pm
Windows Version: 7
Avant Version: 2012
Default engine: IE/chrome
IE Version: 8
Skin: crystal

Re: side bar

Post by mikkel » Fri May 10, 2013 1:35 pm

bye bye Avant Browser!
I take a different one. Working with the sidebar on the right is not practicable. Even when there is a new update with the sidebar on the left, I perhaps go back to Avant. What for a great improvement - most of the users dislike it....

wlf
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 9:36 am
Windows Version: xp
Avant Version: 107
Default engine: firefox
IE Version: 8
Skin: aluminium

I'm thru with avant: Sidebar idiocy

Post by wlf » Mon May 13, 2013 9:50 am

As one post said: "improving for worse". Each and every update this year has worsend this once really great piece of new browser, from download speed to sidebar dictatorship right now (not to mention other gloriuos "improvements"). I wonder whether these people use their browser by themselves. At last, who do they think they are: dictating users where to place their sidebar!
Problably lost any connection to reality and users, just living in their egocentric www-world. Best wishes to you, and thanks for a once good engine. I'm getting back to Firefox and try Lunascape as well.
wlf

latour
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:26 am
Windows Version: Seven
Avant Version: Build 107
Default engine: Mozilla
IE Version: IE 10
Skin: OfficeXP

Re: side bar

Post by latour » Tue May 14, 2013 7:34 am

I read the explanation of the choice of the position of the side bar but it is a very bad idea, I am a user for several years and recently donor. And I confess that if unfortunately it does not change, we can not have the left side bar, I change my browser ... or still remain an older version that integrates. Please tell me that this will be changed ..

Anyway thank you for this exceptional browser (for now)

Post Reply