Avant Browsing not responding

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

pkchu520
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 10
Avant Version: Ultimate 2018 built latest
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: IE11
Skin: Crystal

Avant Browsing not responding

Post by pkchu520 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Lately I have been getting the error message "Avant Browser Not Responding". The window screen totally blacks out. Sometimes it will resume, not most of the time it just dies. I have to shut down the program and restart. What gives?

I'm using AB Ult. 2012 bld. 197 in Windows 64-bit) environment. Aero Glass is my skin.
Pablo
Avant Browser Ultimate 2018 build latest
Default rendering engine: Chrome
IE version: IE11
Windows version: Windoes 10

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: Avant Browsing not responding

Post by mbrazil » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:20 pm

pkchu520 wrote:Lately I have been getting the error message "Avant Browser Not Responding". The window screen totally blacks out. Sometimes it will resume, not most of the time it just dies. I have to shut down the program and restart. What gives?

I'm using AB Ult. 2012 bld. 197 in Windows 64-bit) environment. Aero Glass is my skin.
I'd suggest that you back up your profile, uninstall Avant, and then reinstall it. You might also want to give Avant 2013 a try instead.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:14 pm

I agree with mike but be sure to back up that profile, uninstall Avant, and then reinstall it and do try the 2013 version :thumbup:

pkchu520
Fan
Fan

Post by pkchu520 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:57 am

A little bit history here. I updated to Ultimate 2013 and got a lot of problems with the new version. To name a few:
The Split View is missing at the end of "+".
Split View not working from the View menu. The screen totally messed up for a moment and settled down back to single screen. Mike said he had the same problem, too.
I lost my setting in Search Engine. Turned out the 2013 version has a new pane that is not compatible with the old one.
I lost my URL Alias. Don't know why but it happened.
I lost my Groups. Big diaster because that was my years of work and Xiaobin said, "Sorry. No can do."
etc. etc. etc.

So I reverted back to Ultimate 2013 which I had no problems using it and was quite happy with it actually. (Except it was slow at times because of the CPU heavy usage.) I got back my Split View which is good. Now I have these issues:

Avant Browser not responding (Keeps crashing is another way to say it because I have to close it by force in Task Manager.)
My thumbnail preview is not working (The show tab thumbnail preview is checked.)

I am very fraustrated here. I told Xiaobin many times that I love AB. I have been using it since Netcaptor stopped updating and support its own browser. I remember AB was very light and very fast in the beginning. Then new features are added and it gets heavier and more sluggish. If AB keeps giving me problems every time I update, I have no choice but to switch to a more stable browser like FF and Chrome. Feature wise they might not be as good as AB but at least they give me a piece of mind using them.

What is your thought here?
Pablo

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by brawnymike » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:57 pm

pkchu520 wrote:My thumbnail preview is not working (The show tab thumbnail preview is checked.)
That specific problem--which has only started since the roll-out of AB 2013--would suggest that there is something of AB 2013 still extant on you hard drive even though you're running AB 2012. When you re-installed AB 2012, were you careful to do a complete uninstall of AB 2013 (& reboot) before installing AB 2012? If you did, then are there any items from your old AB 2013 profile folder which you copied over to your new AB 2012 profile?

pkchu520
Fan
Fan

Post by pkchu520 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:34 am

Hi Brownymike, I did a complete uninstall with Revo Uninstaller of AB 2013, and I did not reboot before installing AB 2012. So what can I do now?

I did not copy any items from your old AB 2013 profile folder over to my new AB 2012 profile.
Pablo

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Default engine: Firefox

Post by brawnymike » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Rightly or wrongly, I've always followed the practice of doing a re-boot after an uninstall, in the belief that some vestiges of the uninstalled program are likely to remain until a re-start of Windows ... either by design (that is, the uninstall routine stipulates certain bits will not be removed until other applications and processes are ended) or by accident (in which case, Windows start-up diagnostics will notice & obliterate them). So, in this instance, I would re-do the clean install of AB 2012 by (1) uninstalling AB 2012 using Revo, (2) re-booting, (3) re-installing AB 2012. I hope that solves your problem.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:39 pm

Also, be sure to choose the Advanced mode in Revo, and have it delete all the leftover registry entries and files that it finds.

pkchu520
Fan
Fan

Post by pkchu520 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:33 am

Thank you for everybody's support here,

I did a clean uninstall, reboot, and reinstall of Avant 2012 build 197. I am not ready to try Avant 2913 yet becuase it gave me many problems in the past.

You know what? My Yahoo Mail issue and the Avant browsing not responding issues are gone! However, the thumbnail preview still does not work. I double checked to make sure "Show tab thumbnail preview for task bar button if supported" is checked.

Avant Browser Ultimate 2012 build 197
Default rendering engine: IE9 Compatible
IE version: IE9
Windows version: Windoes 7 Home Premium
Pablo

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:20 am

Just in case, the window theme you use is Aero theme?