Bookmarks empty

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

stonewall37643
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: 7
Avant Version: 2015.b2
Default engine: IE
IE Version: IE 11
Skin: Opal Glass

Bookmarks empty

Post by stonewall37643 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:12 am

I have just installed the newest version of the Avant Browser and all of my bookmarks have disappeared. How do I get them back? I am not able to create any new booksmarks either.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Re: Bookmarks empty

Post by Jasmine » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:47 am

Do you refer to bookmarks in online storage account or not?If you refer to local settings, I suspect the bookmarks.dat is corrupted so that the bookmarks can't show up since you mentioned that adding new bookmarks failed. In this case, go to windows start>run, input %appdata% and press [enter], rename avant profiles folder to avant profiles_bak for backing it up, and then restart avant browser(a new avant profiles folder will be created with default settings). See whether you can add new bookmarks.
If you refer to online bookmarks, it's likely that there is a sync problem between your browser and the remote sever.
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

stonewall37643
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by stonewall37643 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:54 am

I am referring to the bookmarks tab on the browser.

stonewall37643
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by stonewall37643 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:21 am

I have done as you suggested and it did open a new folder and now not only are all of my bookmarks missing, the autofill tab is empty.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:04 am

stonewall37643 wrote:I have done as you suggested and it did open a new folder and now not only are all of my bookmarks missing, the autofill tab is empty.
That means your bookmarks file is corrupted.
Tools>Backup/restore profiles, do you have backup? If you have, choose a backup and click the "Restore" button to recover your bookmarks/autofills.

Another way to restore autofills ,you can:
1 delete the new Avant profiles
2 rename the "avant profiles_bak" back to "Avant profles" again
3 then delete the Bookmarks folder in it.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:26 am

xiaobing wrote:
stonewall37643 wrote:I have done as you suggested and it did open a new folder and now not only are all of my bookmarks missing, the autofill tab is empty.
It's normal, since you use a brand new profile now. I asked you to do so for testing whether you can add new bookmarks again by using a brand new profile. If you can add new bookmarks in new profile but not in the old profile, it's very likely that the old bookmarks.dat is corrupted in your old avant profile.
That means your bookmarks file is corrupted.
Tools>Backup/restore profiles, do you have backup? If you have, choose a backup and click the "Restore" button to recover your bookmarks/autofills.

Another way to restore autofills ,you can:
1 delete the new Avant profiles
2 rename the "avant profiles_bak" back to "Avant profles" again
3 then delete the Bookmarks folder in it.(Note:then your bookmarks will get lost forever, you'd better keep a backup before we confirm it's really corrupted.)
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

stonewall37643
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by stonewall37643 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:21 am

I copied all of the files that were in the file that I changed to avant profile_bak into the new profile. The bookmark folder from the _bak file would not let me add any bookmarks so I deleted the new profile and created a new one and recopied every thing in the _bak folder and placed it in the new profile again except the bookmark folder and I can add new bookmarks. There was a folder called gecko in the .default folder and I can get some of the bookmarks that I used to have.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:12 am

I suggest you use the online storage of Avant, at least your bookmarks can be restored when this kind of problem happens.
Or you can backup your bookmarks regularly via Tools>Backup/restore profiles feature.