Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Windows Version: Windows Seven 64 Bit
Avant Version: 2014 Build 3
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 10
Skin: Sitck Glass / Dream
Hi , i'm using ab ultimate build 189.

From this new version , when i start a search , the search is open in a custom google search
" http://google.avantbrowser.com/Search.aspx?cx= "

Why the search engine is changed , i just want to make a search in google , not in a small google interfaces.

Please , how to come back to original Google search ?

Thanks by advance.

Post Reply #1 on: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:25 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantus Maximus

Windows Version: Windows 7 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2014
Default engine: Firefox / Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers
Yes... this is very disturbing.

I hadn't been getting notifications of new versions, so I just installed Build 189 from Build 181 and it certainly wasn't happening there.

My search string in options is http://www.google.com/search?q=%s, so why is Avant hi-jacking my search?

The search results also do not match... and note that I'm not signed in. (See attached screenshot) Since it's coming from Avant's domain, it makes me wonder if Google's personalized search results would appear for those that do sign in and use them.

I'm assuming this is what the custom search Google provides for every domain looks like, but since it's coming directly from the browser, the knee-jerk reaction is "creepy." I can see those not realizing what's really going on assuming that Avant is intercepting their search queries. That should lead to some good word of mouth.

Regardless, this is the first time I've truly been disgusted by Avant's behavior. (You can verify that, if you want... as I have a few posts.) I looked at the change logs and didn't see it mentioned there, which to me is an indicator of how it might be interpreted.

This is something that should be the default, but then overridden by whatever the user inputs into their search options. Doing a quick test, it looks like Google is the only thing it hi-jacks. I tried bing and duckduckgo and their results urls were left untouched.

This is amateur-ish and Mickey Mouse. Also, and I realize this is completely subjective, but the results page just looks bad, too. What a ridiculous thing to have to deal with when simply trying to get an update. :roll:

Attachments:
SearchScreenshot.jpg
SearchScreenshot.jpg [ 418.42 KiB | Viewed 4216 times ]

Post Reply #2 on: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:49 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantus Maximus

Use this URL to get the normal Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=%s

Post Reply #3 on: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:52 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Guru

Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas
Tools>Avant browse options>search engine>standard search>web> use this one: http://www.google.com/search?avantb=0&q=%s

Post Reply #4 on: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:14 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantus Maximus

The string I posted works prefectly well, too.

What does the avantb=0 string in there do?

...and I know it's nothing malicious, but what a very unclassy thing to pull. This reminds me of the days when there was uproar over the AvantFind search as default and the AvantFind error page. I can't find the post now, but this was my example of "Well, at least they're not doing this."

Post Reply #5 on: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:11 am 
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Windows Version: win7
Avant Version: 2012 beta 8
IE Version: ie9
hornakapopolis wrote:
What does the avantb=0 string in there do?

I think it relates to the incomes of Avant . As I know, most of the browsers earn money via the search engines.
I tried the string, the search results are exactly the same with google's. If it doesn't affect my use of google,I don't mind helping Avant earns money.Actually I am glad to do that. :D Avant is a good browser.

Post Reply #6 on: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:12 am 
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Windows Version: Windows Seven 64 Bit
Avant Version: 2014 Build 3
IE Version: 10
Skin: Sitck Glass / Dream
xiaobing wrote:
Tools>Avant browse options>search engine>standard search>web> use this one: http://www.google.com/search?avantb=0&q=%s

Thanks you , it's working now :)

Post Reply #7 on: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:12 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantus Maximus

AbelAbel wrote:
I think it relates to the incomes of Avant . As I know, most of the browsers earn money via the search engines.
Yeah, my reference to AvantFind was intended to be a subtle wink to that, but my overall point was that making absolutely no reference to it leaves its purpose to the imagination.

At the time, I was in the middle or trying to get some work done and kept having issues with Build 181, so I thought I'd do a quick upgrade to see if my issue would be fixed and encounter this. My frustration and disappointment eclipsed my ability to convey a point.

AbelAbel wrote:
I tried the string, the search results are exactly the same with google's.
Did you not see my screenshot? The results aren't the same. Like I said before, I assume it's the same custom search Google makes available to everyone, but the results do differ.

And again, it's one thing if it's the default, but then can be changed in the options where you place your own custom string, but if your custom string is Google's it supercedes that. Personally, I wouldn't even mind if I had gone into options and found my string replaced, but that's not even the case.

I'm just disappointed. I've only donated a couple hundred dollars over the years and it's been awhile since I've donated, but this isn't behavior I'd support. I mentioned the whole AvantFind fiasco from a few years ago and that, in my opinion, was nowhere near as bad as this behavior. Back then, people's default search string and 404 page got changed. Now, I put a string into my browser and Avant deliberately ignores it and takes me somewhere else. To me, that's just this side of malicious. Just because nothing bad happens doesn't make the behavior acceptable.

And again, why not give notice about it?

edit:Double-checking, the google.avantbrowser.com search results page that you're taken to when using the standard Google string produces different results, the results on the left in my screenshot above.

The http://www.google.com/search?avantb=0&q=%s url given by xaiobing above takes you to what appears to be the same results page as a standard Google search. Personally, I'm not using it, though, until we get an answer. Again, I know it's nothing malicious, but why have a little respect for your users and communicate?

Post Reply #8 on: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:31 pm 

Windows Version: Vista sp2
Avant Version: 2013 Build 108
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE 9
Skin: Aluminum
I have to say that I actually like this little feature. Well the auto complete of all of Google suggestions aspect of the search bar over the old way of just auto complete of your own previous searches. When you ask Google anything you might as well just yell out the window for an answer, this does at least lead in the semi right direction rather than opening a full Google page.

When you open the custom page if you click the search tools you go back to your Google account page and it would be like you opened a search page.

Post Reply #9 on: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:57 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Guru

The word avant in this string "http://www.google.com/search?avantb=0&q=%s" has nothing to do with the icomes of Avant, It's just used for distinguishing with the default one.
In order to avoid any misunderstanding, we suggest you use this one:http://www.google.com/search?as_q=%s

Post Reply #10 on: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:56 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantus Maximus

Tjexcite wrote:
I have to say that I actually like this little feature. Well the auto complete of all of Google suggestions aspect of the search bar over the old way of just auto complete of your own previous searches.

Wait, you're getting Google's auto-complete in Avant's search bar? I tried using the "avant" string provided by xiaobing as well as my default which is now hi-jacked to google.avantbrowser.com and I don't get that behavior from my search bar. AM I misunderstanding you?

Tjexcite wrote:
When you open the custom page if you click the search tools you go back to your Google account page and it would be like you opened a search page.
This is odd because even the results change from the custom search results to what they should have been in the first place.

Post Reply #11 on: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:38 pm 
Fan
Fan

Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Avant Version: 2014 Build 1 Lite
Default engine: IE11 Standards
IE Version: IE11
Skin: AthenX
I am also suddenly getting the Google Custom Search engine and http://google.avantbrowser.com/Search.aspx?...... is in the address bar. I don't like this and want my old Google back, not the Custom Search. This is happening even though I have my search engine set to http://www.google.com/search?q=%s in Avant.

Post Reply #12 on: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:14 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Guru

ehamady wrote:
I am also suddenly getting the Google Custom Search engine and http://google.avantbrowser.com/Search.aspx?...... is in the address bar. I don't like this and want my old Google back, not the Custom Search. This is happening even though I have my search engine set to http://www.google.com/search?q=%s in Avant.

Sorry about the trouble, please use this one:http://www.google.com/search?as_q=%s

Post Reply #13 on: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:05 am 
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

hornakapopolis wrote:
Tjexcite wrote:
I have to say that I actually like this little feature. Well the auto complete of all of Google suggestions aspect of the search bar over the old way of just auto complete of your own previous searches.

Wait, you're getting Google's auto-complete in Avant's search bar? I tried using the "avant" string provided by xiaobing as well as my default which is now hi-jacked to google.avantbrowser.com and I don't get that behavior from my search bar. AM I misunderstanding you?

Yes,I get the Google's auto-complete in both Avant's search bar and address bar in 189 version. Maybe Avant made some change? But I didn't see it in the changelog.

Post Reply #14 on: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:16 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantus Maximus

Windows Version: 8.1
Avant Version: 2014 Build 7
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Crystal
But why does http://www.google.com/search?q=%s forward to the google.avantbrowser.com one to begin with?

Post Reply #15 on: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:22 pm 
Avantic
Avantic

Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A
If you really want to spice things up while being extra safe at the same time with a secure page, use https://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en (for you english speakers, others change the "en" to the code for your language.)

Post Reply #16 on: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:51 pm 

Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014 build 2
IE Version: IE 11.0.9600.17041
Skin: AthenX
The Avant version does differ from the usual Google.
  • In Google you can set the option 'Open the search results in a new tab'. In the Avant version this setting is ignored. Which is quite annoying because it makes a multitab browser less useful.
  • And the Avant version is slower because there is some kind of redirect between the search command (via the normal Google page?) and the results page.
This change feels like a hijacking of my browser. Could you please change it back?

Post Reply #17 on: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:54 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Guru

Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7
Kali wrote:
The Avant version does differ from the usual Google.
  • In Google you can set the option 'Open the search results in a new tab'. In the Avant version this setting is ignored. Which is quite annoying because it makes a multitab browser less useful.
  • And the Avant version is slower because there is some kind of redirect between the search command (via the normal Google page?) and the results page.
This change feels like a hijacking of my browser. Could you please change it back?

Try Timman57's suggestion.
Tinman57 wrote:
If you really want to spice things up while being extra safe at the same time with a secure page, use https://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en (for you english speakers, others change the "en" to the code for your language.)

Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

Post Reply #18 on: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:49 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantus Maximus

Jasmine wrote:
Try Timman57's suggestion.
...or it could properly read our search string. Doing what it should do is always an option, ya know ;)

It's been asked a couple of times, but never answered. What's the point of this change?

Post Reply #19 on: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:00 am 
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

My guess:they want to test Avantfind and make more users to use it.