Avant getting worse and worse

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

shac
Windows Version: Windows XP Sp3
Avant Version: v2013 build 118
Default engine: Chrome 29.0.1547.76
IE Version: 8.0.6001.23532
Skin: Crystal

Avant getting worse and worse

Post by shac » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:37 pm

I cannot login to Avant server these past few days. It keep on saying "Can't connect to server".

I also notice something - that the more Avant updates itself - the more problems it seems to have. Please stick to one final update, settle all the bugs and creases.

1) Repeatedly cannot connect to server
2) Browser gives off purple page saying there is a problem and to refresh
3) Settings to clear history, cache, cookies somehow reset itself
4) After login in, preference to have tabs on the bottom resets itself to the top
5) Preference not to have Auto-Fill reset itself.
6) No courtesy announcement by Avant Browser staff to alert user that they have a server problem. At least have the decency to inform us on the website so that we don't have to scratch our head on what to do.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: Avant getting worse and worse

Post by xiaobing » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:44 am

1) Repeatedly cannot connect to server
The server crashed ,it's ok now.
2) Browser gives off purple page saying there is a problem and to refresh
Under which rendering engine and situation the purple screen happened?
3) Settings to clear history, cache, cookies somehow reset itself
4) After login in, preference to have tabs on the bottom resets itself to the top
5) Preference not to have Auto-Fill reset itself.
These often happens after the crash of Avant browser. Is your Avant crashes very often?
6) No courtesy announcement by Avant Browser staff to alert user that they have a server problem. At least have the decency to inform us on the website so that we don't have to scratch our head on what to do.
This is an oversight of ours.Sorry about that. :oops:

shac
Windows Version: Windows XP Sp3
Avant Version: v2013 build 118
Default engine: Chrome 29.0.1547.76
IE Version: 8.0.6001.23532
Skin: Crystal

Post by shac » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Please take note that until now I am using
Version: Ultimate 2012 build 175
IE: 6.02.2900.2877
FireFox: 13.0.1.4562
Chrome: 20.0.1132.47

I am still having this problem Please see attachment. Seriously, all the donations has gone to waste. Seriously, I am waiting for the next browser competitor to do better.
Screen.jpg

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:58 am

How often does it happen per day?
Do you get any error message before the purple screen appears?
Is there any video playing when it happens?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:15 am

xiaobing wrote:How often does it happen per day?
Do you get any error message before the purple screen appears?
Is there any video playing when it happens?
xiaobing, it's time to acknowledge that these rendering-engine crashes are a widespread problem that happens multiple times daily to many (if not all) users and that it happens whether or not a video is playing and regardless of whether there is or isn't a lot of memory in use. It even happens when Avant is in the background and is not actively doing anything except maintaining idle tabs that were previously opened.

shac's screenshot shows it happening with the Chrome (WebKit) engine, which I almost never use, but I see it all the time with the Firefox (Gecko) engine, and there has been no improvement in any of the recently released builds up to and including 175. The rendering-engine crashes affect all tabs currently opened with that engine, not just the tab which you're viewing at the time. Most of the time (but not always), doing a Refresh All brings all the tabs back to life without restarting Avant, but reloading a number of tabs simultaneously can be very time consuming and should rarely be necessary as the result of a rendering-engine crash. Also, in the case of tabs open to sites that require a login, it frequently forces you to log in again, and depending on how the site is configured, you may lose the contents of a shopping cart or lose data that you've previously entered on that page. This is a major annoyance/inconvenience and fixing the bug causing it deserves the highest priority.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:33 am

Originally highlighted at http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30703 ..... Yes, it has been a fairly major issue for a while now, doubtless one that you're trying hard to resolve, but it's certainly dragging on for too long.
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:17 am

Well i guess the cats out of the bag now time to deal with this problem. For most like a average user at this time it is easier for them to switch browsers because they don't know what else to do.I would like to see this problem fixed ASAP.Perhapps til fixed we should not use the webkit.Please everyone know i still like avant i am not angry or mean to insult anyone. What i have said has been said by manny users.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:23 am

I know what you said are correct and the problem also happens to me and jasmine sometimes, but to Anderson, he may need more time to fix this problem. The problem may happen in any time/any case.I think that's just why it's hard to find out the cause.
As a user or supporter,I also hope all problems, especially the serious ones can be fixed ASAP. :cry:

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:56 am

Just so i know xiaobing how come i have said this before noboby replies except for people that want to argue with me telling me i am wrong.So mbrazil posts it and now it is believed . I have seen the bigger picture for sometime. Now. While everyone was trying to fix small things. That would have likely fixed with this problem.Now As a user and supporter of avant I STILL AM AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE. I relalize anderson has no help and needs time.But i donnot see the reason to put out new 2012 versions so fast that each time it seems to be getting worse.Is there a version that you as staff or anderson knows of we all could use for the time being. So anderson can take his time with the webkit so that is in good working condition for release. AVANT was great we need it great again. :)

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: W10 x64 / W7 x64
Avant Version: Avant Browser 2019 build 2
Default engine: 1ºFirefox \ 2ºChrome
IE Version: 7 and 10 but i never use it
Skin: Xito - old skins

Post by Crazy_John » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Just info for the developer , 10 or 15 versions ago avant was crashing (purple page) many times every day when loading new links , new tabs , videos.
But in the latest versions theres no crashs here in my pc , (just with some videos was crashing) .
With the version 175 ,avant never crashes here .

There must be something different between you guys pc's and mine.
Extensions that i have : adblock plus with easylist filter , flashblock , low quality flash and magic actions.
Plugins , 2 days ago i have disabled all :D except foxit reader and shockwave flash , its just to do some tests but didn't notice any difference , but it works well with all plugins ON also.
Windows Xp sp3 , internet explorer 7 (now but i prefer 6 because i never use it)
I dont use the pc more than 3 hours without reboot.

ViperHasTheLead
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium - SP1
Avant Version: Ultimate 2015 build 7
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE 1i.0
Skin: Dream

Post by ViperHasTheLead » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:32 am

Good day all,

Just to add to this thread my experiences with the multi core Avant.

I have Win 7 Home Edition x64 and Avant Ultimate 2012 Build 175

Useage, rarely any problems, does get snotty about Flash installations and some things like that.
General use, site loading etc. good speed.
I've been using Avant for eons, don't really like the muti-faceted line it's taking these days, I preferred the keep it fast keep it simple atributes of Avant's earlier incarnations. Chrome and Firefox to me are just variations of Microsoft's bloatware.

One problem I have been having since this new build 175, everytime I close Avant down, Soluto flags up a crash !!
It doesn't seem to matter what state Avant is in at the time either. It flags a crash !!
Anyone seen this happening, got any ideas how to stop it ??

I think Avant is still the best browser, it was it's speed and simplicity that won me over, hope that ethos isn't going to fall by the wayside to placate the Twitter/Facebook generation who want buttons for everything !!

Best wishes to the developers, we all have a moan, but it's your work we depend on !!
Mick c.

Nederpietos
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: 10 pro
Avant Version: 2018 build 7 ult
IE Version: IE11
Skin: stickers on blue

Post by Nederpietos » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:11 pm

You can also download just a lite version with only the IE engine http://avant.it-mate.co.uk/?c=Download& ... /12_Series

ViperHasTheLead

Post by ViperHasTheLead » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:19 pm

Nederpietos wrote:You can also download just a lite version with only the IE engine http://avant.it-mate.co.uk/?c=Download& ... /12_Series
Thanks for this info.
One question, how would I be set regarding all my bookmarks and the autofill info I have logged if I decided to replace the Avant version I have now with this 'lite' one ?

All the best,
Mick C.

Nederpietos
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: 10 pro
Avant Version: 2018 build 7 ult
IE Version: IE11
Skin: stickers on blue

Post by Nederpietos » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:37 pm

No worries, all settings are the same. only the firefox and Chrome options are not there.

ViperHasTheLead

Post by ViperHasTheLead » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Nederpietos wrote:No worries, all settings are the same. only the firefox and Chrome options are not there.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.
I'll give the 'lite' version a try this week.

Just in case anyone else is looking in on this thread and following the discussions, I'm not knocking Avant and it's changes, some people need all the bells and whistles, my browsing needs are simpler, and I'm finding the Ultimate versions a little more browser than I need.

If you really want to see why so many of us use Avant, try it, then give all the others a bash, see which one you keep !!

All the best,
Mick C.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:15 am

Nederpietos wrote:No worries, all settings are the same. only the firefox and Chrome options are not there.
My only question would be is if you install the lite version over the ultimate version, what happens to the other browsers? I would think that you would first have to uninstall the ultimate version first, and if that's the case you would need to back up your Avant settings and your bookmarks, unless you use IE bookmarks.
Just my way of thinking mind you, don't really know for sure....
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:55 am

Tinman57 wrote:My only question would be is if you install the lite version over the ultimate version, what happens to the other browsers? I would think that you would first have to uninstall the ultimate version first, and if that's the case you would need to back up your Avant settings and your bookmarks, unless you use IE bookmarks.
Just my way of thinking mind you, don't really know for sure....
If you install the lite version in the same folder without uninstalling the ultimate version first, you'll still have all three engines available, and they'll be shown in all the appropriate menus in Avant. You can prove this to yourself easily. Try this: while Avant is running with only IE tabs open, go to the Avant program folder and rename the gecko or webkit folder to something else like xgecko or xwebkit. Then, in Avant, go to one of the menus that lists the engines, like Tools | Default Rendering Engine. You'll find that engine corresponding to the folder you renamed (Mozilla Firefox for gecko or Google Chrome for webkit) is no longer listed in the menu. Then, go back and rename the folder back to its original name, and check the menu again. The engine that was gone is back in the list.

This means that, if you want to go from the ultimate version to the lite version, all you have to do is rename or delete the gecko and webkit folders along with the folders under them. You can also create a two-engine version of Avant by renaming or deleting either the gecko folder or the webkit folder. Since the Trident engine (for IE) is the same one used for the built-in version of IE, there is no folder for it in the Avant folder, and you cannot create a version of Avant without IE by renaming or deleting any folder.

ViperHasTheLead

Post by ViperHasTheLead » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Hello again,

Just a follow up. Have the 'lite' version 2012 build 28 installed now, NO crash reports from Soluto.

Process was simple, just unistalled the Ultimate version using CCleaner, then installed the 'lite' version.
Didn't need to back up anything, everything is as I had it before, just NO Firefox/Chrome.

If anything goes pear shaped I'll come back and let you know, but so far, so good.

Best wishes,
Mick C,

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:56 am

mbrazil wrote: If you install the lite version in the same folder without uninstalling the ultimate version first, you'll still have all three engines available, and they'll be shown in all the appropriate menus in Avant. You can prove this to yourself easily. Try this: while Avant is running with only IE tabs open, go to the Avant program folder and rename the gecko or webkit folder to something else like xgecko or xwebkit. Then, in Avant, go to one of the menus that lists the engines, like Tools | Default Rendering Engine. You'll find that engine corresponding to the folder you renamed (Mozilla Firefox for gecko or Google Chrome for webkit) is no longer listed in the menu. Then, go back and rename the folder back to its original name, and check the menu again. The engine that was gone is back in the list.

This means that, if you want to go from the ultimate version to the lite version, all you have to do is rename or delete the gecko and webkit folders along with the folders under them. You can also create a two-engine version of Avant by renaming or deleting either the gecko folder or the webkit folder. Since the Trident engine (for IE) is the same one used for the built-in version of IE, there is no folder for it in the Avant folder, and you cannot create a version of Avant without IE by renaming or deleting any folder.
I see, but doing it this way without an un-install would leave a whole bunch of app & .dll references hanging in the registry. I would think that could cause problems within itself. I think I'd much rather do an un-install of the Ultimate and then install the lite version....
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Tinman57 wrote:I see, but doing it this way without an un-install would leave a whole bunch of app & .dll references hanging in the registry. I would think that could cause problems within itself. I think I'd much rather do an un-install of the Ultimate and then install the lite version....
I'm not suggesting that anyone do it that way unless their aim is to create a two-engine version of Avant, or if they think they might need to reactivate the other engines at some point. Overall, if you don't expect to use anything except the IE engine at any time in the future, it's probably a better idea to uninstall Ultimate and then install Lite.

That said, I searched my registry for "avant\gecko" (with all engines enabled) to see how many references there are to anything in the avant\gecko folders and found a total of eight. Five of these were created by other applications or Windows itself (most recently used, etc.), and the other three are not significant in that they are in reference to mundane things like the default icon. When I searched on avant\webkit, I found only one entry, and it was from another application. So it appears that if you did start with an Ultimate installation and strip it back to a two-engine version or to the Lite version by renaming or deleting the gecko and/or webkit folders, you'd be left with very few (nine maximum) related registry entries and none that would cause any problems. The Avant Ultimate uninstall would not remove most of these anyway.