Where does my History go?

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

acp05
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
Avant Version: 2012 Build 166
IE Version: IE 8

Where does my History go?

Post by acp05 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:15 am

I have Avant Ultimate 2012 Build 166 installed. Every time I exit, my history list completely disappears. I've had this problem ever since I installed the first 2012 version. When I start the browser again, my history starts all over. If I reinstall the last 2011 version, I don't lose my history unless I erase it and the problem is solved. These things I know for sure:

1. I've uninstalled and reinstalled each 2012 version with the same result.
2. I have my profile set to keep 30 days of history.
3. I've double-checked my settings, and I don't have anything set to automatically erase my history when I close the browser.
4. I've double-checked my settings in CCleaner which I use occasionally, and I don't have anything set to erase my history from there either.
5. I know the browser history is now kept in a .dat file, but I should still have a list I can refer to.

I've used Avant Browser for at least 2 years, but this issue has become so frustrating I've been using another browser. I don't want to switch back and forth to IE just to see my history, and I don't want to use an old version just to solve the problem. Any suggestions, anyone?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: Where does my History go?

Post by mbrazil » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:06 am

I know you said you checked your settings, but just to be sure, did you check in Tools | Avant Browser Options | Exiting?

Also, the IE and Firefox engines each have their own setting for deleting history on exit. In IE, it's a checkbox in Tools | Internet Explorer | Internet Options | General tab | Delete browsing history on exit. In Firefox, it's a drop-down list on the Privacy tab in Tools | Mozilla Firefox | Options.

acp05

Post by acp05 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Mike, thanks for trying to offer some suggestions. I checked all my Avant settings again, and there is definitely nothing checked to erase history when exiting, and the profile is set to keep for 30 days. I'm not having this problem in IE; my history is always there, but I checked the settings and I have it set to keep 30 days, also. I don't usually have Avant set for Firefox rendering mode and I'm not very familiar with it, but I pulled up the history panel and it's saving everything when exiting, so my problem is only happening when Avant is set for IE rendering mode. I played with Firefox for awhile, but I couldn't get the Navigation toolbar to show. I kept trying to check it in the pop-up menu, but nothing happened. I also kept trying to check and uncheck whether the tabs should be on top or not, but I never saw any Firefox tabs! I know it can't be that hard, and this is pretty frustrating. What next?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:47 am

I have one more suggestion: try clearing your history in Avant -- Tools | Clear Records | Clear History... I had a problem several builds back where nothing was appearing in my history at all even during a long Avant session. Nothing I tried would get it working again until I got the idea to clear my history even though it appeared to have nothing in it, but that fixed it. It's worth a shot.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:59 am

And try this in ie rendering mode:
Open the history side panel, choose View->By site or By visited, will history show up?
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

acp05

Post by acp05 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Jasmine, I tried your suggestion but nothing came up in the list. Mike, I tried your suggestion but it didn't work either. Apparently, the problem lies somewhere with running Avant in IE rendering mode. Maybe this is just one of those unsolveable computer problems. In Firefox mode my history is always saved, so it looks like I'll just keep things set to run under Firefox. Speaking of Firefox, I still can't get the Navigation toolbar or the tabs. The Bookmarks and add-on bar work fine, and I can still see the regular Avant tabs so I guess it isn't a big issue at this point; I just like for things to work like you think they should. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a quirk of running Firefox in Avant? Thanks for everything!

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:10 pm

As far as the tabs are concerned, in Avant with the Firefox engine, the only tabs you'll get are the ones in the Avant Tabs Bar. Why would you want the Firefox tabs instead of or in addition to the Avant tabs?

Regarding the Navigation toolbar, you can't get it in Avant, but have you tried creating a custom Firefox toolbar (Customize Toolbar | Add New Toolbar)?

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:38 am

Try the following for checking whether the file site.dat was corrupted:
1. Go to Tools->Avant Browser Options...->Profile
Copy the content in the field Please choose the profile folder:,let's say root/avant browser/(for example mine is F:\Program Files\Avant Browser2012build169)
2. If you don't use Online Storage, go to root\avant browser\avant profiles\.default(for example mine is F:\Program Files\Avant Browser2012build169\avant profiles\.default); if you use Online Storage, go to root\avant browser\avant profiles\[your e-mail account](for example mine is F:\Program Files\Avant Browser2012build169\avant profiles\.default\[your e-mail account]).
3. Exit Avant Browser
4. Rename sites.dat as sites.dat_bak
5. Restart Avant Browser, a new sites.dat will be created.
Restart and exit Avant Browser a few times. See whether the history side panel can remember the history.
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.

acp05

Post by acp05 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Jasmine, your suggestion sounded good, so I tried it and ended up with the same result. Avant in IE mode just refuses to remember my history if I exit the browser, but that's okay. After playing with both modes, I know Firefox retains my history so I'll just keep using it that way. Mike, I just wasn't familiar with Firefox mode because I hadn't used it up until now. I thought you were supposed to see the Firefox tabs when you're running under Firefox, and the Avant tabs when you're running under IE; not both sets, just one or the other. I also didn't know the Navigation toolbar wasn't available in Avant because the option to put a checkmark by it is in the pop-up menu. You both seem pretty knowledgeable on how things work and you've enlightened me quite a bit. If other people, like me, aren't sure about the details in different modes, one of you should write a "how-to" list; I think it would be a big help. Jasmine and Mike, thanks a million to both of you for your suggestions and all your help!

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:20 am

When you're using the Firefox engine and you right-click the Add-on bar or another Firefox toolbar, the pop-up menu you see is generated by Firefox, not Avant. That's why it includes the option for the Navigation Toolbar, even though it can't be displayed in Avant. Toolbars that are part of Avant extend the full width of the Avant window. Toolbars that are generated by Firefox are only as wide as the tab pane. Try right-clicking any of the Avant toolbars and right-clicking the Add-on bar or another Firefox toolbar, if you have one showing. You'll see the difference in the pop-up menus.

There will be a tab button in the Avant tab bar for each open tab regardless of which engine is in use for that tab. You could have one or more tabs open with each of the three engines, and all of those tab buttons would appear in the Avant tab bar at the same time. None of the engines display their own tabs when you're using Avant.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:33 am

How about trying the following again for checking whether there is a difference in reading the site.dat between ie and firefox mode, whether avant has erased history after exiting?
1 Set Tools->default rendering engine->IE8 Standards
2 Input some urls for creating history(Open your History side panel to check that there is history)
3 Back up your site.dat to another folder like F.
4 Exit Avant Browser(Note: site.dat could have been modified if avant browser has erased the history).
5 Copy back site.dat from the folder F
6 Restart Avant Browser and see whether the history exists?
  • If the history exists, we can confirm that Avant has erased the history during exiting. Then you have to provide a screenshot of the panel Tools->Avant Browser Options...->Exiting
  • If not, changing to Tools->default rendering engine->Mozilla firefox, repeate step 4-6 for checking whether firefox can load the history.

acp05

Post by acp05 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:27 pm

Jasmine, I've never seen anything so strange in my life! I followed your latest suggestion: While in IE mode I copied sites.dat to another folder, started Avant and typed some urls, exited, copied sites.dat back to the folder and clicked "yes" to overwrite the new sites.dat that had been created. I started and exited a few times, and it held my history! In other words: IT WORKED! I've tried clicking and unclicking, installing and uninstalling, and everything else I could think of before this! Could the sites.dat folder have been corrupted somehow, and should I keep an extra copy of sites.dat on hand in case I have to overwrite what's already there again? You're brilliant!

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:12 am

Strange,I have no idea either. Normally it should work.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:51 pm

FWIW, I have a Windows batch file that runs as a scheduled task every morning at 0100. It backs up everything in the Avant Profiles folder to another drive (only those files that have changed). This way, I always have a backup of everything in the Profile folder that's no more than 24 hours old at most (it overwrites the files from the day before, so it doesn't keep increasing in size, but it only has the one backup). If something goes wrong with anything that's stored in the profile folder, I just shut Avant down, copy the entire contents of the backup folder to the Avant Profile folder, restart Avant, and I'm back in business. It doesn't prevent me from losing my most recent history (sites I visited since the previous morning at 0100), but at least I don't lose everything prior to that. It could also be modified to back up more than once a day, but for me, that's overkill. I chose 0100, because that's the time of day I am least likely to be using Avant.

It's not perfect, because if something in the profile becomes corrupted between the last time I used Avant and when the backup is updated at 0100, it will back up the corrupted file. For this reason, I manually make a copy of the backup folder every few days. I could automate that as well, but I just haven't gotten round to it yet.

pme
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2012 Build Latest
IE Version: IE 9

Post by pme » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Did anyone solve this issue, as my History disappears almost immediately...any concise solution?
pme2

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:59 am

pme wrote:Did anyone solve this issue, as my History disappears almost immediately...any concise solution?
pme2
Have you read carefully this thread?
Tools->Avant Browser Options...->Exiting->Always erase the following item(s) when exiting, make sure you have nothing checked.

pme

Post by pme » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:40 pm

Oh, Hi Jasmine, thanks for the reply, I have checked that and can confirm that nothing is checked; I also use AB at work with a different user name etc, and that AB history has the same symptoms?
pme2

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:13 am

Does history only disappears after restarting avant browser? Without closing the browser, it is kept alright, right?
Have you tried if it's the same in firefox rendering mode?
If this only happens to ie9 rendering engine, have you tried the methods in posts Reply #4,Reply #7 and Reply #10.

pme

Post by pme » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Jasmine wrote:Does history only disappears after restarting avant browser? Without closing the browser, it is kept alright, right?
Yes correct.

Have you tried if it's the same in firefox rendering mode?
Yes same fault occurs.

If this only happens to ie9 rendering engine, have you tried the methods in posts Reply #4,Reply #7 and Reply #10.
No not yet

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:43 am

Then try #7 and see whether the problem will get fixed.