Add links to Bookmarks Bar

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

rovingmx
Windows Version: 7 Home Premium
Avant Version: 11.7 Bld 46SR
IE Version: IE 8

Add links to Bookmarks Bar

Post by rovingmx » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:49 pm

I can't add new links to my Bookmarks Bar. I drag them in place from from my Bookmarks list, but they disappear after closing Avant. When I reopen Avant all of the previous (old) links are in place and the new additions have disappeared. What should I be doing to make them stay in place in the Bookmarks Bar. Have Win 7 and am an Avant user for a number of years. Just not doing it right, I guess. Thanks for the help.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Re: Add links to Bookmarks Bar

Post by kudos » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:40 am

Do you add a new bookmark using the menu: Bookmark >> New Bookmark...?
Are you using the regular version or the USB version?
Does it work if you right-click the Avant shortcut and run as administrator?

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

rovingmx

Post by rovingmx » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:50 am

Thanks. I'll give those a try tomorrow and report back.

rovingmx

Post by rovingmx » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:07 pm

I am using the regular version 11.7 bld 46SR. I do use the Bookmark/Create New Bookmark sequence, putting a number of them in my Favorites Bar Folder. Using 'run as administrator' makes no difference. Going to Bookmarks/Organize Bookmarks/Favorites Bar all of the shortcuts that I want on my Bookmarks bar are there and in order. However when I open the >> at the right end of the Bookmarks bar the list differs from the above, as the shortcuts are shown in alphabetical order rather than the order of them shown on the Bookmarks Bar.

What is the specific step-by-step procedure for adding a shortcut to the Bookmarks bar shown on the Avant screen? I am opening the >> list and dragging the icons to the Bookmarks Bar, and they stay there until I close the browser, and are no longer in place when I re-open it. I'm obviously missing something somewhere, and I used to be able to do it with no problems. I am obviously doing something wrong or not doing something right.

I really appreciate your assistance!

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Hello bud when you are on a site right click bookmark this page. And use your side bar it works this is all you have to do. At top of browser select view then side bar all you bookmarks will be there.Let me know if this fixed your problem. AXE :wave: :thumbup:

rovingmx

Post by rovingmx » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:48 pm

I feel like I must have just shifted into 'dumb' mode. All of my bookmarks that I want to add to my Bookmarks bar are shown on the Sidebar. They appear in the Favorites Bar folder. 18 of them appear on the bar and have been for months. The other 8 or so that I keep putting on my Bookmarks Bar keep disappearing when I close and then re-open Avant. All of these sites were added to my Favorites Bar by using the Bookmarks/New Bookmark sequence. Right clicking any and all of the places does nothing. Right clicking a tab offers to Bookmark that site, but the site is already in the Bookmarks folder, so don't need to do that. I just need to get the shortcuts to stay in the Bookmarks bar on my Avant page. I think I am missing some very simple step. Thanks for the help!

rovingmx

Post by rovingmx » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:46 pm

I now have to add that my laptop Win7 also using Avant 11.7 works perfectly. I can drag a bookmark from my >> folder up to my Bookmarks bar and then close and re-open Avant and it remains there, just as it should. These are the same bookmarks that are giving me such a problem on my desktop unit. Both are set to use "IE Favorites as bookmarks". Puzzled to say the least.

rovingmx

Post by rovingmx » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:46 pm

I just uninstalled v11 and installed v122 hoping to end the problem, which it didn't. Here is what I have observed. The Bookmark bar will accept only 17 of my selected bookmark shortcuts, after which it shows the first several of the alphabetical list of the remainder of the Favorites list, which fill the bar. Any that I want there that I add beyond this point disappear after closing Avant and re-opening it.

HOWEVER, I just renamed 4 of the shortcuts that I really want on that bar by just adding a number in front of each, beginning with 1 and ending with 4. Now each of those four appear on the bar (along with my other 17 preferred ones) and remain after a close/re-open. One solution, perhaps.

Thanks for all of your attention. I guess I will stay with this 'solution' unless a better one comes along.