Avant Browser community forum
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC

Poston: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:00 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

Windows Version: XP Pro SP3 x86 + all updates
Avant Version: 2013 Ultimate Build 23 & Build 115 (USB)
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: IE8 + all patches and updates
Skin: Monai XP
I just loaded forum.avantbrowser.com in a chrome tab in Avant and found, with only one chrome tab open, nine instances of chrome.exe are running. Is this normal?

Post Reply #1 on: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:30 am 
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Windows Version: win7
Avant Version: 2012 beta 8
IE Version: ie9
I think it's abnormal. I have four chrome.exe in the task manager with one tab opened with chrome engine in Avant.
In chrome browser, open one tab, there are 7 chrome.exe.

Post Reply #2 on: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:42 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Guru

Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7
mbrazil wrote:
I just loaded forum.avantbrowser.com in a chrome tab in Avant and found, with only one chrome tab open, nine instances of chrome.exe are running. Is this normal?

How many chrome.exe can you see in chrome itself with one page open?

Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

Post Reply #3 on: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:00 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

Jasmine wrote:
mbrazil wrote:

How many chrome.exe can you see in chrome itself with one page open?

Good question. I'd never tried it, but when I did, I found 10 instances of chrome.exe. That just makes me less likely to use the chrome engine for anything than I was before.

Post Reply #4 on: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:17 am 
Avantic
Avantic

Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A
Sounds like the same problem with ybrowser and IE rendering.....

Post Reply #5 on: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:56 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

Right now I have 27 Firefox tabs open (no IE or Chrome), and I have one instance of firefox.exe and one instance of plugin-container.exe. Another good reason to use the Firefox engine as the default. The only other process on my machine right now that's running more than two instances of anything is svchost.exe with 10. svchost.exe is part of Windows, and it's normal to have several instances of it running.

Post Reply #6 on: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:00 pm 
Avantic
Avantic

mbrazil wrote:
Right now I have 27 Firefox tabs open (no IE or Chrome), and I have one instance of firefox.exe and one instance of plugin-container.exe. Another good reason to use the Firefox engine as the default. The only other process on my machine right now that's running more than two instances of anything is svchost.exe with 10. svchost.exe is part of Windows, and it's normal to have several instances of it running.

It's not like Firefox don't have it's issues as well. Besides, the multiple ybrowser problem don't always show up. Methinks that for some odd reason beyond my comprehension, if one ybrowser crashes, then the multiple ybrowsers start popping up.

Post Reply #7 on: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:28 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

Tinman57 wrote:
It's not like Firefox don't have it's issues as well.

Firefox definitely does have issues of its own, but I find that, overall, Firefox has the best performance (sites load faster), it has the largest variety of available extensions, and it has less stability and compatibility issues than Chrome. IE is pretty good too, but like Windows itself, it's a much bigger target for malware and other criminal mischief, which is one of the reasons I mostly use Firefox in Avant. Firefox does still have some significant memory-consumption issues (leaks, failure to release, etc.), but since I started using Firemin, those things are under control. Mozilla is well aware of the memory problems and has indicated they're putting a priority on fixing them, so hopefully a third-party solution like Firemin won't be necessary much longer.

Avant with the Firefox engine was running quite well for me prior to build 175, which seems to have reintroduced some stability problems that had previously been eliminated. I don't know whether these are coming from Firefox 13, Avant 175, Flash 11.3, or a combination of two or all three of these. I'm going to regress to Flash 11.2 or 10.3 later today to see if that helps (we now know that there's a definite identified problem with Flash 11.3 and Firefox).

Post Reply #8 on: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:47 pm 
Avantic
Avantic

I can still remember years ago in the earlier versions of Firefox, it had the same memory leak problems. That was one of the reasons why I dumped Firefox and went to a newer version of IE. I find it hard to believe that after all these years and they still don't have it fixed!

Post Reply #9 on: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:38 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

It seems that they never really tried to fix it until recently, and who knows how hard they're trying now. You'd have thought that, with all the negative publicity they've gotten over the years regarding memory usage, they'd have gone after it a long time ago. They seem to be putting a lot of effort into the UI, which is annoying many Firefox users because the UI keeps changing. We don't see that in Avant, because we see very little of the Firefox UI.

Post Reply #10 on: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 am 
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9
Hey guys the problem with the actual firefox is the orignal coders have left months ago i was told that they were just wanted to move on to new projects quote[ greener pastures] .However they didnot leave at the same time one left the other left a few months after the first. Again this is what i told as i test there.

Post Reply #11 on: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:52 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic

Windows Version: Windows XP Pro 64bit/32bit
Avant Version: Avant 11_0 Build 46
Default engine: trident
IE Version: IE8
Skin: default
Guess I am a novice at this problem.

My question is: What is a memory leak in a browser mean?

Hope this question ties in with the subject of this thread, If not please forgive me.

Post Reply #12 on: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:13 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic

Windows Version: Windows XP Pro 64bit/32bit
Avant Version: Avant 11_0 Build 46
Default engine: trident
IE Version: IE8
Skin: default
perhaps I ask the question too soon.

The article in pc mech on memory issuses with Chrome gives me a better understanding of memory leakage as a subject/

view http://www.pcmech.com/article/how-to-de ... rs-part-2/

Post Reply #13 on: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:40 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

I've been looking further into the memory consumption situation with firefox.exe, and there is more than one problem. The first one is that it doesn't release memory it is no longer using in its working set. This is the memory problem that's handled well by Firemin.

However, there is another memory drain from firefox.exe that Firemin doesn't help with, and from what I've been able to learn, it seems as though there is nothing that can help with this. It is the memory commit size, which continues to increase slowly but steadily until it reaches about a gigabyte as the firefox.exe process runs. At that point, it drops back to around 800 MB and starts rising again (I don't know what the mechanism is that clamps down on commit size, but I've confirmed that it's not Firemin). For example, with Firemin running and set to a mid-range setting, firefox.exe's working-set memory varies in the range of about 20 MB to 80 MB, but commit size climbs to around 1 GB, drops to around 800 MB, rises to around 1 GB, and repeats the pattern over and over. Without Firemin, the working set also rises slowly but steadily, but it doesn't get clamped back on any kind of regular basis.

I don't know enough about memory usage in Windows (or any other OS for that matter) to fully understand what's happening here, and from what I have learned, there's nothing similar to Firemin that can manage commit size like it does the working set. Anyone who has any knowledge in this are is welcome to contribute to this thread.

Post Reply #14 on: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:19 pm 
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Windows Version: Xp Pro Sp3 32-bit
Avant Version: 2014 Ultimate 5
Default engine: Firefox Rendering
IE Version: 7 but i never use it
Skin: Xito - old skins
About chrome , here usualy with 1 google.com page theres 6 sometimes 7 chrome.exe's , the other day i saw around 15 to 20 after use chrome for some time and with alot tabs.

about firefox 13.
" Memory leaks

Memory leaks can cause Firefox not to release memory that it is no longer using, especially with older versions. There has been a lot of effort to reduce the leaks in recent versions, and Mozilla developers have have created tools to detect them. [6] [7] To minimize leaks, you should upgrade to the most recent version. The most common memory leaks appear to have been fixed in Firefox 2. [8] Firefox 3 uses even less memory than Firefox 2 due to more memory leak fixes and further efforts to reduce memory usage. [9] [10] [11] [12] "

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Memory_Leak

" The most common memory leaks appear to have been fixed in Firefox 2. [8] Firefox 3 uses even less memory than Firefox 2 due to more memory leak fixes and further efforts to reduce memory usage. [9] [10] [11] [12] "

One thing that its not there yet is that in firefox 10 , 11 ... 13 and probably all versions after version 4 (4 included) , all have a big memory leak .

More here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30869&p=185424#p185424