All times are UTC

Post subject: Spell check for IE
Poston: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:09 pm 
Fan
Fan

Windows Version: XP, Vista, 7, 8, 2003
Avant Version: Latest
IE Version: 9
I have lately been using avant with the FF or chrome engine because of the real time spell check, but find many things about both that I don't like. Is there a plugin or something I can use to get spell check in avant using IE engine?

Post subject: Re: Spell check for IE
Post Reply #1 on: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:41 pm 
Avantic
Avantic

Windows Version: 7 (64 bit)
Avant Version: 2014 utimate latest
Default engine: IE 9
IE Version: IE9
Skin: Crystal (may vary)
Tools -> Avant Browser options -> addons. There are several items to be checked: iespell, check spelling, iespell options, and dictionaries. Warnings: 1) it is not automatic - you have to right click the text and ask for it. 2) It is a little flaky in that when you make a correction, it sometimes screws up.

Post Reply #2 on: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:39 pm 
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 10
Skin: Aero Glass
Of course, you must first install it (ieSpell): http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Post Reply #3 on: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:20 am 
Fan
Fan

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I installed it and all options were available to check accept "dictionaries", but it still seems to work. The need to right click to initiate the spell check seems primitive though. Seems like someone would have come up with this by now.

Post Reply #4 on: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:22 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

Windows Version: XP Pro SP3 x86 + all updates
Avant Version: 2013 Ultimate Build 23 & Build 115 (USB)
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: IE8 + all patches and updates
Skin: Monai XP
pcs800 wrote:
I have lately been using avant with the FF or chrome engine because of the real time spell check, but find many things about both that I don't like. Is there a plugin or something I can use to get spell check in avant using IE engine?

Do you have Microsoft Word 2003 or earlier?

Post Reply #5 on: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:48 am 
Fan
Fan

Installed on all my machines is office 2007, but I do have copies of all previous version sof office, does that help?

Post Reply #6 on: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:31 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

pcs800 wrote:
Installed on all my machines is office 2007, but I do have copies of all previous version sof office, does that help?

Yes, it does. If you install just the English Proofing Tools from either the Office 2003 or Office XP CD, the spell checker from the Proofing Tools should automatically be used in IE and Outlook Express. Your Office 2007 installation should not be affected.

Post Reply #7 on: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:08 pm 
Avantic
Avantic

Windows Version: 7 (64 bit)
Avant Version: 2014 utimate latest
Default engine: IE 9
Skin: Crystal (may vary)
pcs800 wrote:
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I installed it and all options were available to check accept "dictionaries", but it still seems to work. The need to right click to initiate the spell check seems primitive though. Seems like someone would have come up with this by now.

I should have been clearer. The two dictionary options are Lookup on (Merriman-Webster or Wikipedia).

Post Reply #8 on: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:31 am 

Windows Version: Windows 7 64bit
Avant Version: build 179 ultimate
mbrazil wrote:
pcs800 wrote:

Yes, it does. If you install just the English Proofing Tools from either the Office 2003 or Office XP CD, the spell checker from the Proofing Tools should automatically be used in IE and Outlook Express. Your Office 2007 installation should not be affected.

I have Office XP and installed just the proofing tools and nothing else as siad here. But there seems to be no change to IE9 (no mispell highlighting, no right click spelling options, and no new Office or spellcheck related addon listed in IE). There's no new spellchecking function in Avant either, of course. What exactly was supposed to happen after installing the proofing tools? Should there have been a new addon in IE9?

Does this just not work with IE9? I would really, really like to have an automatic highlighting spellchecker in Avant's IE renderer. What more could I do to get this working?

I previously tried Speckie but it didn't do anything in Avant even after enabling it. I then disabled it in IE9 before installing the proofing tools from Office XP. Having Speckie installed but disabled could not have messed something up, could it?

Post Reply #9 on: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:18 pm 
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 10
Skin: Aero Glass
pep wrote:
mbrazil wrote:
If you install just the English Proofing Tools from either the Office 2003 or Office XP CD, the spell checker from the Proofing Tools should automatically be used in IE and Outlook Express. Your Office 2007 installation should not be affected.

I have Office XP and installed just the proofing tools and nothing else as siad here. But there seems to be no change to IE9 (no mispell highlighting, no right click spelling options, and no new Office or spellcheck related addon listed in IE). There's no new spellchecking function in Avant either, of course. What exactly was supposed to happen after installing the proofing tools? Should there have been a new addon in IE9?

Does this just not work with IE9? I would really, really like to have an automatic highlighting spellchecker in Avant's IE renderer. What more could I do to get this working?

I believe mbrazil comment was specifically in response to your question about the dictionaries in ieSpell. That is, once proofing tools are installed, ieSpell should be able to see that dictionary. Unfortunately, ieSpell does not show misspellings as-you-type (with highlight or a squiggly underscore). Instead, you have to remember to select the text you've just entered and then invoke ieSpell (e.g., by selecting "Check spelling" from the right-click [context] menu) in order to check the selected text.

Have you considered looking into using the Firefox rendering engine in Avant? It does handle spellchecking in the manner you desire.

Post Reply #10 on: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:32 pm 

Windows Version: Windows 7 64bit
Avant Version: build 179 ultimate
I got the impression that mbrazil's responses about Office were about how to get real time spell check into IE in Avant, because of this previous reply (bold for emphasis):

mbrazil wrote:
pcs800 wrote:

Do you have Microsoft Word 2003 or earlier?

I guess maybe mbrazil wasn't responding to the real time part of it.

Like pcs800, there are things about FF and chrome that I don't like. It really is much more convenient for me overall to have IE as my default rendering engine, I've found. Just except for the fact that I can't figure out how to get a real time spell check to work with IE in Avant.

That's about the only thing I'd like to be able to use with IE in Avant that I can't find a way to do it.

Post Reply #11 on: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:50 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

I was expecting that, once you'd installed the English proofing tools, the spell checker from Office 2003 would work in IE, including the real-time spell checking. I had the same experience you're describing at one time -- I upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007, and lost spell checking in Outlook Express and IE. I did some research online and found out that Microsoft had removed that capability from Office 2007 but that I'd get it back if I installed just the Office 2003 (or earlier) proofing tools. I did that, and it worked. I don't know why it's not working in your case, but it might have something to do with the version of IE. I don't remember for sure which version of IE I was using at the time, but it was most likely IE7. I'm sorry it didn't work for you, but I don't know why, and I don't know what else to suggest. :(