WinRAR 3.50 Final is out
1.Now it is possible to change WinRAR's look by installing
interface themes. Theme files are available on
Theme files are RAR archives, just open them in WinRAR to install.
You can manage installed themes using "Options/Themes" menu.
2. WinRAR supports decompression of ZIP archives created using
Zip64 format extension. Zip64 was introduced to remove
original ZIP format limitations on archived file size.
3. Added support of multivolume (multipart) CAB archives.
4. New options in "Advanced" part of extraction dialog:
a) "Delete archive" options allow to delete extracted archives;
b) "Check authenticity information" option controls processing
of authenticity information in RAR archives.
5. "Wait if other WinRAR copies are active" option
in "Advanced" parts of archiving and extraction dialogs.
If enabled, it waits while other WinRAR copies are creating,
modifying or unpacking an archive and starts the operation
only when other WinRAR tasks are complete. If you are going
to perform several archiving or decompressing tasks, such queued
execution can help to reduce the amount of disk seeks and improve
6. WinRAR is able to integrate to Windows context menus also
on Windows x64 systems.
7. SFX modules:
a) SFX modules are not compressed by UPX anymore, so they are
larger now. UPX compression caused numerous false alerts
by antivirus software. If you wish to use compressed modules,
you can get UPX from http://upx.sourceforge.net
*.sfx files in WinRAR folder;
b) The default SFX logo can be replaced by a custom bitmap file.
You can do it either with "Load SFX logo from the file" option
in "Text and icon" part of "Advanced SFX options" dialog
or using -iimg command line switch. Note that -iimg is not
supported by console RAR, only GUI WinRAR recognizes it.
This option is not supported in Windows 95, 98 and Me.
Also you cannot use it if you compressed SFX modules by UPX.
c) It is possible to specify user defined SFX icons larger than
32x32 and with any color depth. Like the previous item,
this improvement is valid only if SFX modules are not compressed
by UPX and your operating system is not Windows 9x/Me;
d) DOS.SFX module moved to RAR/DOS32 distributive. If you need
to create DOS SFX archives using WinRAR, just copy DOS.SFX
to WinRAR folder.
8. "Wizard" command allows to specify a password when creating
or updating an archive.
9. Previous WinRAR versions unpacked the complete archive contents
if the user pressed Enter or double clicked on *.exe, *.htm and
*.html files. Now it is possible to define file masks to unpack
everything for. Such masks can be entered on the "Viewer" page
of the "Settings" dialog. For example, if you wish to unpack only
a file under the cursor when you double click on archived HTML file,
remove "*.htm *.html" from this field.
10. Additional file name extensions for archive formats supported
by WinRAR can be specified in the "User defined archive extensions"
field on the "Integration" page of the "Settings" dialog. For example,
if you have files with ".001" extension, which are in RAR format,
you can enter "001" here to associate WinRAR with such files.
11. New "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color" option
in "File list" page of "Settings" dialog.
12. New "Lock toolbars" option in "General" page of "Settings" dialog
and in the menu displayed after clicking the right mouse button
on the toolbar. "Lock toolbars" prevents accidental toolbar moving
13. "Repair" and "Extract" commands replace invalid characters
(colon, question mark, etc.) by underscore also in file names
in ZIP archives. Previously WinRAR did it only for RAR archives.
14. New -n and -n@ switches set additional include
filters, so only files matching the mask will be processed.
15. New -id[c,d,p,q] switch. Additionally to previously available
-idp switch (disable percentage indicator), switches -idc, -idd
and -idq instruct the console RAR to hide the copyright message,
"Done" message and all information messages.
16. Switch -e+ allows to specify file include attributes mask.
For example, you can use -e+h switch to compress only hidden files.
17. Switch -ver[n] supports the optional 'n' parameter also when
archiving. It limits the maximum number of file versions.
18. If the short name of an already existing file is equal to the long
name of an unpacking file, WinRAR changes the short name of the already
existing file before unpacking. In such situation previous versions
prompted to overwrite the existing file even though long file names
were not equal.
19. Security changes:
a) WinRAR shell does not allow to run *.pif files. Archived PIF
files is one of typical ways for computer viruses to distribute;
b) WinRAR shell does not allow to run files having 5 or more
continuous spaces in the name. For example, "calc.txt .exe".
Viruses frequently add such spaces to confuse users and hide
the real extension. WinRAR shell removes these continuous spaces
except first and last also when displaying names of such files
in the file list.
20. In Windows XP WinRAR highlights the sorted column in the file list
using the different color, like it is done in Windows Explorer.