Interesting Article on AntiVirus Programs

You know about some neat piece of software? Post here!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Avant Version: 2012Ultimate V171
IE Version: IE9

Interesting Article on AntiVirus Programs

Post by Pip » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:44 am

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-555 ... ag=nl.e724

Any comments or recommendations if you are or are not running Trend Micro PC program.??
Last edited by Pip on Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:59 am

I'm still using Norton's Systemworks 2003 after being burned by the 2004 version--I'm not about to try 2005. I see in the article that eventually I won't be able to renew the updates--I'm not sure what I'll do then.....

Sara :?

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:20 am

Although not directly on topic, but relating to being "burned" by Norton (of which I've been a fan) I have one machine at my office running SystemWorks 2001. The disk has since mysteriously disappeared and I decided to go with AVG for Anti-Virus. After some searching and trying it on the machine itself... I can't find anyway to uninstall Norton Anti-Virus because it was installed with SystemWorks. I'm guessing the disk would help... but that just seems like one of those things that you should be able to do without access to the disk. So, I'm getting a little tired of them, too.

That article reads pretty well. When it comes to software, I'd rather support a lesser known company that's only 90% as good just to see them get better. And, in this case, this sounds even better that Norton or McAfee

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by Pip » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:32 pm

Denny.........here is the Symantec website for uninstalling Norton products........it doesn't mention (that I could see) about whether or not you could not uninstall if the product was a part of Systemworks....

I had Systemworks for awhile and the guy that cleans up my messes on my machine said he didn't like Systemworks because it talks too much to your computer, so we only installed the Antivirus portion of it and since then I have only purchased that..

Manual uninstallation documents for Symantec Client Security products

Edit: I hope you don't mind Pip, but I enclosed that link in a URL tag, I was tired of scrolling back and forth. --SweetLou

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:00 pm

Thanks for the links... at the very least, there should be more knowledge there from which to pick.

Coolnat2004
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Coolnat2004 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:01 am

After reading this article, I am now going to step away from Norton and I am currently downloading AVG Free 7.0. I will see how that goes (Hopefully it will turn out to of been Norton that has been slowing dowm my system so much)

The sad thing is, I paid $50 for Norton and tagged it onto the bill for my computer.

Edit: Norton is now uninstalled.. I think. I removed it form Systemworks from Add/Remove Programs. NPROTECT.EXE is still running, which could easily be norton ghost, but again I have not restarted yet because it is a tiring process - I have to wait for everything to load up including ultramon and such, then open skype and trillian and avant seperately.

Anywho, I just tested out AVG's Personal Email Scanner application with Thunderbird, and it works just like Norton, but more attractively! Those popups are great, much better than just a systray icon, since they tell me the status. It's also nice to let people know that your outgoing email has been scanned.

I am currently performing my first scan, enjoying much lower processing usage than that of Norton. (Sidenote: Shoot! It just found a trojan! It's in the temp files, I think I remember Norton keeping it from being run..or something.) I stopped the scan and it let me continue the scan! That is sooo awesome!

My scans are now scheduled, and overall I am currently very happy with AVG Free Edition 7.0.

Edit2: I now find out that it doesn't keep a window open after it does a scheduled operation! Much unlike Norton! I checked the log and it updated at 5:20AM, and scanned at 6:00AM!

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:05 pm

Coolnat, I'm pretty sure that NPROTECT is Norton Anti-Virus's auto-protect. If it's still running, you might want to look into that. (As usual though, I could be wrong ;) )

Coolnat2004
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Avant Version:

Post by Coolnat2004 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:55 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:Coolnat, I'm pretty sure that NPROTECT is Norton Anti-Virus's auto-protect. If it's still running, you might want to look into that. (As usual though, I could be wrong ;) )
It is actually a part of Norton Utilities and it is the protected recycle bin.

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by vtel57 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:24 pm

Yup! When I reformatted and reinstalled XP after my SP2 fiasco, I did NOT reinstall any Symantec products. Their customer support is non-existant. Their products are bloated resource hogs. I just didn't want to deal with that crap any longer.

I use Sygate firewall now and AVG antivirus. I love them both. I would have used Zone Alarm (I had been previous to SP2), but it didn't play well with SP2, so I abandoned it in favor of Sygate. I've had no troubles with AVG. However, before my trust built up with AVG I was using Trend Micro's "Housecall" also for global scans. If I were to buy an antivirus product these days, I would probably go with Trend Micro.

I won't ever have anything Symantec on my system again, though. :x

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:35 pm

Ghost and Drive Image are still the best.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper. -Benjamin Franklin
Where's the dancing and singing monkey?

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:24 pm

Coolnat2004 wrote:It is actually a part of Norton Utilities and it is the protected recycle bin.
I was just scrolling through this page and the minute I saw "Recycle Bin" I knew you were responding to me. ](*,)

When I was having problem with slow downs, I used to disable NAV and then see NPROTECT and think the same thing every stinking time. Hope I didn't waste any of your time.

Coolnat2004
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Avant Version:

Post by Coolnat2004 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:11 am

hornakapopolis wrote:
Coolnat2004 wrote:It is actually a part of Norton Utilities and it is the protected recycle bin.
I was just scrolling through this page and the minute I saw "Recycle Bin" I knew you were responding to me. ](*,)

When I was having problem with slow downs, I used to disable NAV and then see NPROTECT and think the same thing every stinking time. Hope I didn't waste any of your time.
I have 8 hours on a weekday to burn, and that took me a whopping 2 minutes in which I would be browsing forums anyway. :)

duke duke
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by duke duke » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:17 pm

Anywho, I just tested out AVG's Personal Email Scanner application with Thunderbird, and it works just like Norton, but more attractively! Those popups are great, much better than just a systray icon, since they tell me the status. It's also nice to let people know that your outgoing email has been scanned.
I know this is an old thread, but I just started using AVG. CoolNat, what popups are you referencing in your comparision to NAV's systray icon. Am I missing an AVG setting to allow said popups?

duke duke
Dell 6000
XP Home SP2
Avant 10.2, latest build
IE updates
NOD32, the latest
Outpost Firewall Pro 3.5
Ad Muncher 4.7

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by Pip » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:36 pm

I think he is probably referring to the email scanner popups that show ujp when email is being processed.......down in the right lower corner of the systray.

duke duke
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by duke duke » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:21 pm

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I don't get the pop up.

duke duke
Dell 6000
XP Home SP2
Avant 10.2, latest build
IE updates
NOD32, the latest
Outpost Firewall Pro 3.5
Ad Muncher 4.7

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by Pip » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:31 pm

If you want to see the popups, you will need to open the Email Scanner section of AVG......click on properties and check the 2 boxes under the Progress title.......for Show Notification Icon and Show Information Window........and click Ok wherever needed.

duke duke
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by duke duke » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:38 pm

That's where I originally thought the option would be, but it is not there. I'm using AVG 7 free (latest update) with MS Outlook 2003. I'm usually not this blind. Today is St. Patrick's day, right? Not April fools :?

duke duke
Dell 6000
XP Home SP2
Avant 10.2, latest build
IE updates
NOD32, the latest
Outpost Firewall Pro 3.5
Ad Muncher 4.7

duke duke
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by duke duke » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:57 am

got it...it was optional in the installation.

duke duke
Dell 6000
XP Home SP2
Avant 10.2, latest build
IE updates
NOD32, the latest
Outpost Firewall Pro 3.5
Ad Muncher 4.7

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by Pip » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:45 am

duke duke........I see you have AVG Pro........what't the difference (if any) between the Free program and the Pro version? Is it worth it, in your opinion?

duke duke
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by duke duke » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:18 am

Little difference. Should have saved my coin :cry:.

duke duke
Dell 6000
XP Home SP2
Avant 10.2, latest build
IE updates
NOD32, the latest
Outpost Firewall Pro 3.5
Ad Muncher 4.7