avast! Virus Cleaner - free virus & worm removal tool.

You know about some neat piece of software? Post here!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

angeldust
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Bld 127
IE Version: 8

avast! Virus Cleaner - free virus & worm removal tool.

Post by angeldust » Sat May 22, 2004 11:39 pm

avast! Virus Cleaner is a free tool that will help you remove selected worm infections from your computer.
Click this image to DL:
The latest version is 1.0.191, built on 20.5.2004.
Learn more
Last edited by angeldust on Sun May 30, 2004 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
To be Truly Loved is to Live, I HAVE Lived. Image

Chandu9013
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Chandu9013 » Thu May 27, 2004 10:17 am

Ya i too tried it.it is great.Try the anti-virus aswell.there r 2 vers in itfree and pro.both are nice.but when we got the best like norton we don't reallyneed avast.but for those who can't afford norton avast is the way to go
D.Sai Chandra Sekhar (Chandu)
Avant Browser 10.1 Build 30
Internet Explorer 6 SP1
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1
Windows 98 Second Edition

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:44 am

I don't agree that Norton is the best anymore, it is a glutton for system resources. I'm very happy with the Avast! free version.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

Chandu9013
Avantic
Avantic
Avant Version:

Post by Chandu9013 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:30 am

Ofcourse not even me now.I use AVG 7.0 Free. :) .I think it is the best.
D.Sai Chandra Sekhar (Chandu)
Avant Browser 10.1 Build 30
Internet Explorer 6 SP1
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1
Windows 98 Second Edition

Tweak
Avant Version:

Post by Tweak » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:00 pm

Had to reply here, Norton and best in the same sentence, completely wrong. Avast....decent, same for AVG, but then you're looking at free apps so you can't expect the best. Managing a PC shop, (building and repairing) I see McAfee, Norton, AVG, and a few others regularly, I also see even though they are installed, configured, and up-to-date they all get virus infections. For the last year easily a majority of work is virus & spyware related cleanup. Norton and McAfee which people pay for seem to do worse than the AVG which is free, but I have seem for an example a system with Norton come in with 0 viruses, according to the owner...my scan with Panda Platinum Internet Security however resulted in the detection and removal of 41 viruses. I have personally used Panda for over 2 years and have no issues stemming from virus related problems, plus I have used almost any other anti-virus you can think to name at one time or another for the purpose of testing. F-Secure, F-Prot, NOD32, Kaspersky, Anti-Vir, McAfee, Norton, Avast!, AVG, eTrust™ EZ Antivirus, etc. I'll stick with Panda for now, another to use though is Trend Micro's PC-Cillin as it does a nice job and consumes a minimal amount of resources, Panda consumes more but with the PC I use that is of no consequence, keep in mind the age/speed of the system when choosing. I hope this will help some people as I have had first hand experience and not simply an opinion based on what I have read from a review which may be biased. :D

disabled
Avant Version:

Post by disabled » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:01 am

Hi ther I'm a newbee to this forum,
I agree that PC cillin is great,
I use PC cillin, Spybot Spyblater.2Sq and Microsoft antispyware I've had no problems.
I tried to install Panda antivirus but clashes with PC Cillin is there a way to make them run alongside each other? because the writeup states that you can?

Tweak
Avant Version:

Post by Tweak » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:17 pm

disabled wrote:Hi ther I'm a newbee to this forum,
I agree that PC cillin is great,
I use PC cillin, Spybot Spyblater.2Sq and Microsoft antispyware I've had no problems.
I tried to install Panda antivirus but clashes with PC Cillin is there a way to make them run alongside each other? because the writeup states that you can?
Despite what it says...it is not a good idea to run two actively monitoring anti-virus programs simultaneously. They not only slow down the system but they also many times have some conflict that I have seen stop a PC from booting at all.
If it ain't broken, you haven't "tweaked" it enough.

Pastork
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Pastork » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:53 pm

I am a Norton fan myself. I have used Norton for years and have never had an infection of any kind.

However, Norton does use the resources! This is not a problem if you have a newer computer with a powerful processor and plenty of RAM. However, I have one old computer with Windows ME on it, and the computer barely meets the requirements to run ME well, so adding Norton AntiVirus slows it to an unbearable crawl. So, knowing that there were some free solutions available, I began to research them and settled on Avast. It really works well with the older system and uses less resources, so it slow it down like Norton did. I have been using it on the older system for several months and so far so good! :wink:
"There is a god-shaped vacuum in the heart of every man that only God can fill." Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
http://reformedbaptist.blogspot.com/
http://www.immanuelhomepage.org/

Tweak
Avant Version:

Post by Tweak » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:03 am

Pastork wrote:I am a Norton fan myself. I have used Norton for years and have never had an infection of any kind.

However, Norton does use the resources! This is not a problem if you have a newer computer with a powerful processor and plenty of RAM. However, I have one old computer with Windows ME on it, and the computer barely meets the requirements to run ME well, so adding Norton AntiVirus slows it to an unbearable crawl. So, knowing that there were some free solutions available, I began to research them and settled on Avast. It really works well with the older system and uses less resources, so it slow it down like Norton did. I have been using it on the older system for several months and so far so good! :wink:
Can't agree there, easy to claim to have never had an infection when the program you use to detect it is inferior and lacks the ability to detect it, false sense of security. Over the last 5 yrs almost every single pc with Norton or McAfee installed and updated has still had detections when I have had to scan them in the shop, sad really but true. :D
If it ain't broken, you haven't "tweaked" it enough.