[INFO] WinPatrol 16

You know about some neat piece of software? Post here!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

[INFO] WinPatrol 16

Post by MysteryFCM » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:46 pm

I appreciate all of you who come regularly to read my leaking thoughts. I try my best to come up with topics that will interest you and attract new readers. One of the keys to getting new readers is to have other popular Blogs link to your stories.

On the lower left-hand column of the Blog screen you’ll see I include a link to Technorati which keeps track of which Blogs link to me. Out of all the topics I cover my recent news about Scotty getting his bark back in Vista attracted the most attention ever.
Read the rest at:

http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... -test.html

.... and grab the latest 12 series from;

http://www.winpatrol.com/beta12.html
imgWP12_SU.gif
imgWP12_IEH.gif
imgWP12_DS.gif
imgWP12_about.gif
Homepage: http://winpatrol.com/
Last edited by MysteryFCM on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated title from "[INFO] Winpatrol 15" to "[INFO] Winpatrol 16"

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [INFO] WinPatrol 12

Post by MysteryFCM » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:57 pm

It's official ladies and gents :)
I am very pleased with the feedback I’ve received from everyone who helped test the newest version of WinPatrol. The new version is officially available today.

Everyone seems to really like our new Scotty icon. The last time I tried to change the main icon there was a rebellion of sorts. All our Vista users are glad that Scotty has his voice back.

I’ve had the most feedback about the new HijackPatrol log which is now available on the Options tab. This new informational feature isn’t intended to replace any other program but provides WinPatrol information in a familiar format. Based on the feedback from testers I’ve included additional information in our log like File Type Associations and Hidden file locations.
Full article:
http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... on-12.html

Download:
http://www.winpatrol.com/upgrade.html

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:49 pm

Monday, November 19th is the 10th Anniversary of the public release of WinPatrol. ( 70 in dog years ). This program was originally created for friends and family after I had a machine infected with a clever trojan designed to steal my AOL password. Below is a screen shot of WinPatrol 1.0 which still runs today but has obviously improved a great deal since 1997.

Going through my old backup CDs I was pleased to find some great video and audio of our friends spreading the news about WinPatrol. Keep in mind what you see and hear is about an old version. The interviews will tell you more about BillP and WinPatrol then you ever cared to know.

I never really advertised WinPatrol so its international popularity is due completely to friends. The majority of new features came as suggestions from friends of Scotty. So, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all of you who have encouraged and supported my WinPatrol project. It’s been a rewarding ten years.

Bits From Bill w\ links to interviews

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:46 am

Sneak PEEK! WinPatrol v14.0.2007

What's New
  • Enhanced Keylogger Detection
    The use of keyloggers for illegal purposes has exploded. A Schenectady man was recently jailed for up to three years for felony eavesdropping after putting a keylogger on his wife's computer. I've heard too many stories of abuse made possible due to keyloggers so it's time for it to stop. While WinPatrol PLUS had always detected keyloggers we've enhanced this feature and it's now available to free users so everyone is protected.
  • Interactive PLUS code Activation
    Unfortunately the number of users depending on illegal PLUS codes has become a problem. While honored by the worldwide popularity of WinPatrol this could slow down access to PLUS information by our paid supporters. Our new version will do more to screen out invalid codes. In a few cases, users may find their valid codes are no longer working correctly. Those affected can write to support @ WinPatrol.com and we'll make sure they receive the correct code.
  • Optimized Detection of New Services
    As more and more programs move to the Windows Service model it become apparent that this may be a popular avenue of attack in the future. The routine used to monitor and detect new Window Services has been optimized to make this process transparent.
  • Decrease CPU Usage and Conflicts
    Conflicts with some other registry intense programs may have resulted in abnormally high CPU usage on past versions. WinPatrol 14 includes some intelligent routines to allow complete protection without fighting over resources with other security suites and system level programs.
  • Default -expresskboot option
    WinPatrol now includes a -expressboot option which will be used when machines boot up for the first time. This new feature optimizes boot time and allows other applications to maximize their initialization routines.
  • Regular Registry Cleanup
    Some registry cleaners have complained that we don't clean up some data stored in the registry quickly enough. This version will remove information that is no longer needed and "First Detected" information on a regular basic when the file no longer exists.
  • Multiple copies of WinPatrol in startup
    Occasionally, users have written to let us know they have multiple copies of Scotty in the list of Startup programs. This version can correct any errors by checking the "Automatically run WinPatrol" box under the Options tab.
0-= @ Time Of This Posting Bill Still Has Old Version On The Site , Watch This Thread For Live v14

Expect Live @ Approx 10AM EST

Note: This is courtesy of Tom @ TeMerc

daveshrop
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 23
IE Version: 8

Re: [INFO] WinPatrol 14

Post by daveshrop » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:07 am

Fixed bug in caused by compiler optimization error.
On some systems the alert of new startup programs may be delayed.

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:23 pm

The big new feature in WinPatrol 2008 will be monitoring and control of your ActiveX components. Even our friends at Symantec recently reported ActiveX account for an overwhelming majority of all browser plug-in vulnerabilities. Microsoft controls made up 79% of the 239 plug-in bugs discovered the last half of 2007. Those problems were followed by Apples’ Quicktime which had 19 vulnerabilities patched last year.
http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -beta.html

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43

Post by abfan123 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:04 pm

Sounds like a great security tool.
I'll make sure to try it out soon and maybe I'll buy the plus version if I'll like it.
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri May 23, 2008 12:42 am

Help Friends/Family with WinPatrol FLASH

Are you the one your friends and family call when they have computer problems? Are you interested in optimizing your friends and families systems?
If so, the new WinPatrol Flash Edition is a tool for you. You may have also been one of the many WinPatrol users who have asked for this feature over the years.

WinPatrol Flash Edition is a portable version of the main tabbed WinPatrol Explorer interface. WinPatrol Flash can run from a USB/Flash drive without having to install any WinPatrol files or settings on the system you’d like to fix or optimize.
http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... flash.html

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [INFO] WinPatrol 15

Post by MysteryFCM » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:59 am

TeMerc wrote:Saturday, June 21, 2008
After the creation of a stand alone version of WinPatrol it became obvious that users wanted to have their own flash memory based tool kit. I also thought it would be cool to have a WinPatrol brand flash memory stick so I created the WinPatrol USB Wristband.

I couldn’t get one for myself without ordering a large batch so I’m making the wristbands available in the BillP Studios online store. Wristbands are currently available for $24.95 plus shipping until the supply runs out.

Included:
  • 1 GB flash memory ( Copy your favorite photos and tunes )
  • WinPatrolflash.exe ( WinPatrol portable)
  • wpsetup.exe ( newest install for FREE WinPatrol )
Use your WinPatrol USB Wristband to copy your music, photos or even your data from one computer to another.
0-=

Bits From Bill w\Photos

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:33 am

If you are running Vista or Windows 7, give it a shot and let Bill know your thoughts and suggestions!
WinPatrol v16 is still in beta and may be for a while if folks like Microsoft MVP Corrine keeps giving me great suggestions. This latest new feature was a must after reports surfaced that User Account Control settings in Windows 7 could be changed by malware. In fairness, as this Microsoft response points out "The only way this could be changed without the user’s knowledge is by malicious code already running on the box".

I’d like WinPatrol users to know we have their back if some malicious program or even a family member changes the UAC settings on their machine. WinPatrol was also the first program to monitor changes to Windows AutoUpdate settings. Sure enough we’re starting to see many trojans and viruses in the wild trying to monkey with autoupdate setting
Read and download:
http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... o-uac.html

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:49 am

Hmm
imo, No third party program should be allowed to change the UAC settings.
Again, I've not played with Win7 yet, So I've not seen how the UAC was changed there, But if Microsoft allowed third party programs to change this settings or have created an exceptions list then it was a very wrong thing to do.
But they've probably listened to a lot of their users who have said that UAC is very annoying. (But imo, Such users either disabled the UAC or always "accepted" the warning.)
Main PC:

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Re: [INFO] WinPatrol 16

Post by André » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:35 am

We can talk more about this in the Windows 7 thread but essentially, Microsoft made UAC less annoying by default by differentiating between user initiated elevation and program initiated elevation. When a user, logged in as an Administrator, runs a program that needs elevation, it would happen automatically without prompts but when a program initiated an action that requires elevation, there would be the normal prompts. This new malware gets around that by mimicking keyboard/mouse input disguising it's actions as user initiated actions that don't require the prompts. And BTW, Microsoft's official response is that it is a feature by design.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:34 pm

Oh I agree with you abfan 3rd parties shouldnt have access to alot of things but security software companies caused a big up roar because originally MS didnt allow any 3rd party to touch the Security Center in Vista.. They just cited the tired and overused excuse of "Anti-competitive" features. UAC is in there too because there are 3rd party versions of UAC.
-- Matt --

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:11 am

Introducing WinPatrol 2009

Bill Pytlovany has done it yet again. Somehow he has made a great program even better by adding even more helpful features to WinPatrol. Although WinPatrol 2009 is compatible with all Microsoft operating systems, it was specifically designed to work with Windows 7.

WinPatrol is free for personal use and WinPatrol PLUS is available for a one-time $29.95 charge.

Following is a description of the additions to WinPatrol 2009.
Read the full article
http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2009 ... -2009.html

Download WinPatrol 2009!
http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by addonsfan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:19 am

Did it just bark at me?? LOL

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:22 pm

hehe yep, Scotty does that occasionally :lol:

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:53 am

Winpatrol is nice and all, But I've modified the HOSTS file now and it've asked me whether I want to accept the modifications. I've clicked "Accept Changes". But it keep asking me once per 2 minutes or so. What's wrong?
Main PC:

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:25 pm

Do you have any anti-malware software installed that automatically checks for changes to the HOSTS file and tries to revert it back?

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics