Foxie

You know about some neat piece of software? Post here!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Pastork
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Foxie

Post by Pastork » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:16 pm

Has anyone tried this browser-privacy-security suite?

http://www.getfoxie.com/
Now you can surf the web with ease and comfort. Foxie (fox + ie; pronounced /Foxy/) is a collection of free security, privacy and productivity tools developed by the Foxie Team. It was originally designed to bridge the gap between Internet Explorer and Mozilla FireFox (an open source web browser developed by the Mozilla Foundation) but soon grew in scope and size to offer additional unique features not found on any stand alone browser.

Foxie empowers you to browse faster, more safely and more efficiently than with any other browser by blending tabbed browsing, ads & pop-up blocking, Malware cleansing and privacy & security protection with our smart search capabilities to enhance your browsing experience. Foxie is not a web browser and fits seamlessly into your IE browser.
It also gives a more complete list of what is included:
Why use Foxie?
AdBlock

Never see another ad, banner or pop-up again. AdBlock will block all internet ads – replacing them with placeholders so it won't hinder normal surfing. Find out more...

Tabbed Browsing

View more than one web page in a single window with this time saving feature. Open links in the background so that they're ready for viewing when you're ready to read them. Find out more...

Groupmarks

Groupmark all your favorite web sites (or the sites you visit daily) and open them all at once with one click!

Smarter Search

Smarter Search integrates seamlessly into Internet Explorer right into the Address Bar taking up very little space. Smarter Search provides fast access to weather forecasts, stock quotes, news headlines and more. Find out more...

Desktop Search

Find your files, documents, music, pictures, and even video hiding on your hard drive instantly. Search your browser’s cache to view web pages you’ve seen even when you’re not online. Find out more...

Security Firewall

Add an extra level of protection with this small yet powerful Firewall application especially designed to block out Adware, Internet Exploits, Spammers, Spyware, Worms and Trojans. Find out more...

Swift Sweeper (Adware & Spyware Remover)

Instantly scan and remove all Adware, Dialers, Error Hijackers, Homepage Hijackers, Hostile ActiveX, Key Loggers, Remote Hacking Tools, Search Hijackers, Spyware, Trackware and Trojan Downloaders. Find out more...

Flashblock

Block all Macromedia Flash content from loading on any webpage saving you bandwidth and CPU. Find out more...

Popup Blocking

Stop annoying popup ads in their tracks with Foxie's built-in popup blocker.

Privacy Cleaner

Erase traces of your online activities such as your Internet history, cookies, and auto-complete form entries. Find out more...

Privacy Shield

Built with your security in mind, Foxie comes equipped with a special HTTP Filter that scans information as it being passed by your browser, removing sensitive data when found. Find out more...

Secure Update

Routinely check for security and feature updates through our automated Secure Update system.

Infinity Button

The World Wide Web is as infinite as the universe itself. Do some exploring using the Infinity Button.

Fully customizable

Pick and choose which features you like, change the default start page, change the keyboard shortcuts, whatever, however, whenever, just the way you want it!

Setup's a Snap

At only 745KB, Foxie takes just a few minutes to download over a slow connection and seconds over a fast connection. The installer gets you set up quickly and the program integrates seamlessly into Internet Explorer - so you can start surfing right away.
I have installed it and find that the ad blocking is very good. It also asks you if you want to perform an adware/spyware scan upon install, and I chose yes. after a very quick scan, it identified something it called a "Search Hijacker," three "Possible Search Hijackers," and twenty-nine things identified by the term "SearchPounder." I have no idea what these things are, or even whether or not they are false positives, but I clicked to remove all of them and have seen no ill effects.

The "firewall" that is installed and runs as soon as you start IE is really their version of PeerGuardian, which they clearly state:
Foxie Firewall is a derived work of PeerGuardian, a truly great open source project based on the original work by Tim Leonard and Cory Nelson. If you enjoy using this product, please donate directly to PeerGuardian and help keep software free!
In their Knowledge Base (which is still quite small) they state:
Foxie Firewall is designed to add an extra level of protection against Adware, Internet Exploits, Spammers, Spyware, Worms and Trojans, and is not meant to replace commercial Firewall applications rather work alongside them.

Foxie Firewall takes up very little of your system resources, and works with all major Firewall applications (Norton Internet Security, ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky, McAfee, etc.).
I am using Sygate's free firewall on this computer, and I have no problem.

Anyway, that is all I have to say about it for now, except, of course, that its tabbed browsing doesn't hold a candle to Avant Browser. I would really like to see what some others here think of this program.
"There is a god-shaped vacuum in the heart of every man that only God can fill." Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
http://reformedbaptist.blogspot.com/
http://www.immanuelhomepage.org/

Pastork
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Pastork » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:54 am

It started running really slow! And it is buggy!

It was gone after a couple of hours.
"There is a god-shaped vacuum in the heart of every man that only God can fill." Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
http://reformedbaptist.blogspot.com/
http://www.immanuelhomepage.org/