Windows 8 upgrade (from Windows 7)

You know about some neat piece of software? Post here!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 10
Skin: Aero Glass

Windows 8 upgrade (from Windows 7)

Post by brawnymike » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:10 am

:!: Let the Buyer Beware:

I've just spent a miserable two days ... first, attempting (but failing) to successfully upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and then, undoing all the unnecessary paring-down of apps, etc., which were my attempt to make my Windows 7 layout as vanilla as possible. The problem, ultimately, was that the BIOS of my processor (which, apparently, is a little old) didn't allow for security requirements of Windows 8. One would think that this BIOS issue would be one of the fatal roadblocks which the Windows 8 Upgrade Tool (the app for letting one know if their current setup can be upgraded) would identify should upgrading be attempted. But ... it didn't :evil: and, based on a clean pre-upgrade report on my PC, my beneficent friend purchased the upgrade for me.

Each time I got the error screen (at the end of each 2-hour install attempt), I would discover potential "fixes" on Microsoft's forum--some dating back as far as two months. Those fixes called for disabling this or uninstalling that, all to no avail. Finally, more than a day into this exercise in futility, I stumbled across the discussion of what the error message REALLY meant, and saw that this old BIOS issue has been a known problem since the moment they rolled out the upgrade executable. :evil: :!:

First thing this morning, I contacted Microsoft and demanded my friend be reimbursed. Officially, they have authorized a credit back to him, to be received in about 2 weeks. We shall see ... [-o<

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Re: Windows 8 upgrade (from Windows 7)

Post by AXEMAN » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Wow bummer man was that on a windows 8 upgrade disk i also have win 7 and my bud said stay away from win8 :think: :wave:

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by brawnymike » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:51 pm

AXEMAN wrote:Wow bummer man was that on a windows 8 upgrade disk i also have win 7 and my bud said stay away from win8 :think: :wave:
No, this was the cheap-until-Jan. 31st ($39.99) instant download from Microsoft, although I suppose the same problem would exist even if one used an upgrade disk to install the upgrade, as long as one's processor is too old to support certain security protocols.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Hello again what if you bought the windows 8 complete disk this puter i just bought last year had it made just for the way i like it it is a quad core processor and 8 gigs of ram . I am not buying win8 now what is your processor and computer :)

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by brawnymike » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:14 pm

AXEMAN wrote:Hello again what if you bought the windows 8 complete disk this puter i just bought last year had it made just for the way i like it it is a quad core processor and 8 gigs of ram . I am not buying win8 now what is your processor and computer :)
I don't fee qualified to give an informed answer to your question (whether you should buy the Windows 8 full-install disks). I believe I read that if the processor was built after 2004, its BIOS are likely to support the security requirements of Windows 8.